UM shows depth in blowout

The Miami Hurricanes men’s basketball team ended their 2001 exhibition season Saturday afternoon at the Knight Sports Complex with a huge statement, dominating the LA City Stars, 107 – 72.

After a bit of a slow start, the Hurricanes came on strong, keeping the pressure throughout the contest.

Junior forward James Jones poured in a team high of 19 points as the ‘Canes shot 53 percent from the field, including an astounding 68 percent in the second half. Four of the five Miami starters finished in double figures.

“I believe James is our most improved player,” said Hurricanes coach Perry Clark. “We didn’t really make any adjustments at halftime. It was just a matter of us picking up the intensity in the second half and then keeping it up.”

Miami enters the 2001-02 season with something they haven’t had in a while – depth.

“When you have a team like we do that has a lot of depth, it makes it easier for the starters to play well,” Jones said. “Last year, if we took some chances and took some fouls, we were in trouble. With the bench coming in and stepping up to the challenge, it makes it easier for us to gamble and take some more chances because we know the people coming in to back us up will be playing with the same type of intensity.”

The Miami bench accounted for 50 of Miami’s 107 points.

Along with depth comes a very important- versatility. While players like freshman Kahleaf Watson drive to the hole, others like Jones and sophomore Darius Rice are hitting threes.

The ‘Canes shot 43 percent on thirty attempts from behind the arc. Despite the three-point threat, Jones knows his team’s style of offense would not be centered about the three-point game.

“If the three point game comes off the flow of what we do then it will be accept-

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...