UM shows depth in blowout

The Miami Hurricanes men’s basketball team ended their 2001 exhibition season Saturday afternoon at the Knight Sports Complex with a huge statement, dominating the LA City Stars, 107 – 72.

After a bit of a slow start, the Hurricanes came on strong, keeping the pressure throughout the contest.

Junior forward James Jones poured in a team high of 19 points as the ‘Canes shot 53 percent from the field, including an astounding 68 percent in the second half. Four of the five Miami starters finished in double figures.

“I believe James is our most improved player,” said Hurricanes coach Perry Clark. “We didn’t really make any adjustments at halftime. It was just a matter of us picking up the intensity in the second half and then keeping it up.”

Miami enters the 2001-02 season with something they haven’t had in a while – depth.

“When you have a team like we do that has a lot of depth, it makes it easier for the starters to play well,” Jones said. “Last year, if we took some chances and took some fouls, we were in trouble. With the bench coming in and stepping up to the challenge, it makes it easier for us to gamble and take some more chances because we know the people coming in to back us up will be playing with the same type of intensity.”

The Miami bench accounted for 50 of Miami’s 107 points.

Along with depth comes a very important- versatility. While players like freshman Kahleaf Watson drive to the hole, others like Jones and sophomore Darius Rice are hitting threes.

The ‘Canes shot 43 percent on thirty attempts from behind the arc. Despite the three-point threat, Jones knows his team’s style of offense would not be centered about the three-point game.

“If the three point game comes off the flow of what we do then it will be accept-

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...