UM shows depth in blowout

The Miami Hurricanes men’s basketball team ended their 2001 exhibition season Saturday afternoon at the Knight Sports Complex with a huge statement, dominating the LA City Stars, 107 – 72.

After a bit of a slow start, the Hurricanes came on strong, keeping the pressure throughout the contest.

Junior forward James Jones poured in a team high of 19 points as the ‘Canes shot 53 percent from the field, including an astounding 68 percent in the second half. Four of the five Miami starters finished in double figures.

“I believe James is our most improved player,” said Hurricanes coach Perry Clark. “We didn’t really make any adjustments at halftime. It was just a matter of us picking up the intensity in the second half and then keeping it up.”

Miami enters the 2001-02 season with something they haven’t had in a while – depth.

“When you have a team like we do that has a lot of depth, it makes it easier for the starters to play well,” Jones said. “Last year, if we took some chances and took some fouls, we were in trouble. With the bench coming in and stepping up to the challenge, it makes it easier for us to gamble and take some more chances because we know the people coming in to back us up will be playing with the same type of intensity.”

The Miami bench accounted for 50 of Miami’s 107 points.

Along with depth comes a very important- versatility. While players like freshman Kahleaf Watson drive to the hole, others like Jones and sophomore Darius Rice are hitting threes.

The ‘Canes shot 43 percent on thirty attempts from behind the arc. Despite the three-point threat, Jones knows his team’s style of offense would not be centered about the three-point game.

“If the three point game comes off the flow of what we do then it will be accept-

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

No. 2 seed Clemson used a six-run sixth to push past seventh-seeded Miami Thursday night. ...

Kevin Arreaga was the first Cane in action on Thursday and he wasted little time punching his ticket ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...