UM shows depth in blowout

The Miami Hurricanes men’s basketball team ended their 2001 exhibition season Saturday afternoon at the Knight Sports Complex with a huge statement, dominating the LA City Stars, 107 – 72.

After a bit of a slow start, the Hurricanes came on strong, keeping the pressure throughout the contest.

Junior forward James Jones poured in a team high of 19 points as the ‘Canes shot 53 percent from the field, including an astounding 68 percent in the second half. Four of the five Miami starters finished in double figures.

“I believe James is our most improved player,” said Hurricanes coach Perry Clark. “We didn’t really make any adjustments at halftime. It was just a matter of us picking up the intensity in the second half and then keeping it up.”

Miami enters the 2001-02 season with something they haven’t had in a while – depth.

“When you have a team like we do that has a lot of depth, it makes it easier for the starters to play well,” Jones said. “Last year, if we took some chances and took some fouls, we were in trouble. With the bench coming in and stepping up to the challenge, it makes it easier for us to gamble and take some more chances because we know the people coming in to back us up will be playing with the same type of intensity.”

The Miami bench accounted for 50 of Miami’s 107 points.

Along with depth comes a very important- versatility. While players like freshman Kahleaf Watson drive to the hole, others like Jones and sophomore Darius Rice are hitting threes.

The ‘Canes shot 43 percent on thirty attempts from behind the arc. Despite the three-point threat, Jones knows his team’s style of offense would not be centered about the three-point game.

“If the three point game comes off the flow of what we do then it will be accept-

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

Miami redshirt senior quarterback Malik Rosier was named to the preseason watch list for the Manning ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews revealed Thursday the team's schedule ...