Tennis dominates doubles

The University of Miami women’s tennis team concluded their fall season strongly this past weekend when they hosted the Second Annual Hurricane Fall Classic.

The home tournament, Miami’s first and only one this fall, included matches between Miami, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, and South Alabama.

The Hurricanes were almost flawless in doubles competition, taking nine out of 11 doubles matches. Unfortunately, the only two losses finished within a narrow 8-6 margin.

“We’ve had a lot of bright spots this fall,” said women’s coach Paige Yaroshuk, who is very pleased with the success of the doubles teams. “And we have worked very hard on our strategy for doubles.”

And it shows.

Two of Miami’s doubles teams had a remarkable weekend, sweeping all of their competitors. Junior Igna de Villiers and sophomore Abby Smith won all three of their matches, highlighted by an 8-1 win over South Alabama’s Dominika Nemcovicova and Silvia Sosnarova Saturday morning.

Miami’s sophomore team of Sihem Bennacer and Sara Robbins also won all three of their doubles matches.

Miami’s No.1 doubles team of senior Marcy Hora and sophomore Mari Toro took three out of their four matches. Their most impressive victory occurred Friday morning when the two kicked off the tournament with an 8-2 victory over FIU’s Maria Montoya and Dominique Rosenberg.

“Toro has been a great leader for us on and off the court,” Yaroshuk said. “[Toro] and Marcy have definitely helped carry this team throughout the fall.”

Despite her success in doubles competition, Hora did not fair as well in singles.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...