Tennis dominates doubles

The University of Miami women’s tennis team concluded their fall season strongly this past weekend when they hosted the Second Annual Hurricane Fall Classic.

The home tournament, Miami’s first and only one this fall, included matches between Miami, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, and South Alabama.

The Hurricanes were almost flawless in doubles competition, taking nine out of 11 doubles matches. Unfortunately, the only two losses finished within a narrow 8-6 margin.

“We’ve had a lot of bright spots this fall,” said women’s coach Paige Yaroshuk, who is very pleased with the success of the doubles teams. “And we have worked very hard on our strategy for doubles.”

And it shows.

Two of Miami’s doubles teams had a remarkable weekend, sweeping all of their competitors. Junior Igna de Villiers and sophomore Abby Smith won all three of their matches, highlighted by an 8-1 win over South Alabama’s Dominika Nemcovicova and Silvia Sosnarova Saturday morning.

Miami’s sophomore team of Sihem Bennacer and Sara Robbins also won all three of their doubles matches.

Miami’s No.1 doubles team of senior Marcy Hora and sophomore Mari Toro took three out of their four matches. Their most impressive victory occurred Friday morning when the two kicked off the tournament with an 8-2 victory over FIU’s Maria Montoya and Dominique Rosenberg.

“Toro has been a great leader for us on and off the court,” Yaroshuk said. “[Toro] and Marcy have definitely helped carry this team throughout the fall.”

Despite her success in doubles competition, Hora did not fair as well in singles.

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...