Tennis dominates doubles

The University of Miami women’s tennis team concluded their fall season strongly this past weekend when they hosted the Second Annual Hurricane Fall Classic.

The home tournament, Miami’s first and only one this fall, included matches between Miami, Florida Atlantic, Florida International, and South Alabama.

The Hurricanes were almost flawless in doubles competition, taking nine out of 11 doubles matches. Unfortunately, the only two losses finished within a narrow 8-6 margin.

“We’ve had a lot of bright spots this fall,” said women’s coach Paige Yaroshuk, who is very pleased with the success of the doubles teams. “And we have worked very hard on our strategy for doubles.”

And it shows.

Two of Miami’s doubles teams had a remarkable weekend, sweeping all of their competitors. Junior Igna de Villiers and sophomore Abby Smith won all three of their matches, highlighted by an 8-1 win over South Alabama’s Dominika Nemcovicova and Silvia Sosnarova Saturday morning.

Miami’s sophomore team of Sihem Bennacer and Sara Robbins also won all three of their doubles matches.

Miami’s No.1 doubles team of senior Marcy Hora and sophomore Mari Toro took three out of their four matches. Their most impressive victory occurred Friday morning when the two kicked off the tournament with an 8-2 victory over FIU’s Maria Montoya and Dominique Rosenberg.

“Toro has been a great leader for us on and off the court,” Yaroshuk said. “[Toro] and Marcy have definitely helped carry this team throughout the fall.”

Despite her success in doubles competition, Hora did not fair as well in singles.

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...