Letters to the Editor

Dear Editor:

I wholeheartedly agree with your statement in the last issue that “objective, unbiased reporting is the most important thing we do.” As a proud member of the University of Miami community for over three years, I have been one of the few avid readers of the Miami Hurricane, and it’s disappointing that you have failed to practice what you preach.

We are privileged to attend such a fine academic institution. The learning in our classrooms is augmented by a vast array of extracurricular opportunities.

As members of student organizations like a fraternity or the Miami Hurricane we are entitled to a multitude of benefits that enhance our educational experience. However, we are also subject to certain responsibilities.

As fraternity members, we are put under intense scrutiny for everything we do. And let me assure you, we are certainly held accountable for any wrongdoing that occurs. However, it seems that the Miami Hurricane can print whatever it likes, even when it endangers the lives of students. As the only newspaper in our community, it is your obligation to be “objective and unbiased” in your reporting of the campus, including the Greek community.

At a luncheon this week with Greek leaders, I sat amazed as I listened to how many positive activities performed by fraternities and sororities have gone unpublished in your paper, even when they have submitted press releases to your office.

I personally sent a Letter to the Editor last week in an attempt to clear up some bad reporting, and that, too, went unpublished. Yet, it seems that you will print untrue rumors and libelous information, even after University officials have made it clear that no wrongdoing has occurred on the part of an organization.

Alpha Epsilon Pi is a fraternal organization dedicated to the development of our members into responsible citizens. This includes volunteering in the community, holding social events and both personal and professional development.

Our members are not perfect and make mistakes just as any human being does. However, it is important that we not run from our problems. Rather, as students we must learn from our mistakes and move forward to become better people.

Things are not always as they appear to be. If the Miami Hurricane, however, chooses to run an article or an editorial, I would hope that they would be as responsible as all other student organizations on the campus and ensure the accurate and objective reporting of the facts.

If we, as a fraternity, can do anything to help the newspaper to this end, we would be more than happy to discuss the positive promotion of our entire University of Miami community.

Daniel Miller,

President, Alpha Epsilon Pi

At 9:17 p.m. Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz, who these days doubles as a Hur ...

With just 14 more shopping days before National Signing Day, here’s where the Hurricanes stand with ...

Manny Diaz’s coaching staff for the Miami Hurricanes is finally set. Less than three weeks after he ...

There’s at least a chance this might not be the final season watching a Wade perform on a large Sout ...

The one major hole missing on Manny Diaz’s staff until Friday was the lockdown ace recruiter. The ne ...

A large area of low pressure and arctic air swirling above the North Pole fractured and split into t ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Daevenia Achong of the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team reeled in a pair of ACC accolades, as a ...

University of Miami sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera, ranked No. 21 on the Oracle/ITA singles list, g ...

Following a one-week absence, the Miami women's basketball team reentered the top 25 of the USA ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...