Crime and Safety, News

UM employee fired after making threatening comments

Capture.PNG

Melania Obando. Photo courtesy UMPD

A public advisory has been issued for former University of Miami employee Melania Obando after she allegedly made concerning comments about mass shootings.

The Miami Hurricane obtained a BOLO, or “be on the look out,” for Obando issued internally March 30 by the University of Miami Police Department. She is the same individual in the community information advisory sent out to UM students, faculty and staff April 6.

Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 12.06.31 PM.png

According to the BOLO, Obando made “concerning comments” to colleagues two separate times. Obando allegedly said if she had been the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooter, “they would have never seen her coming.”

On another occasion, Obando was allegedly heard whispering, “When I start shooting everyone I am not going to care who asks for forgiveness, I am going to shoot everyone.” She was questioned about what she had said and repeated herself, the BOLO said.

Obando, 49, worked in Accounts Receivable Management at the Gables One Tower across from UM’s Coral Gables campus. She was on vacation when the BOLO was sent out but was terminated when she returned April 2.

Obando has been issued a trespass warning. She drives a 2003 White Nissan Sentra with Florida tag AECW62.

UMPD has asked anyone who sees Obando on campus or at Gables One Tower to call their office at 305-284-6666.

Amanda Herrera

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

Michelle Atherley closed out the Bryan Clay Invitational with a record-setting performance in the wo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will begin the final weekend of its regular season wi ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Eight members of the University of Miami track and field team earned All-ACC Academic honors for the ...

Nine members of the University of Miami track and field team will represent the Hurricanes at the Vi ...