Cover, Crime and Safety, News

Car flips into campus canal

Miami drivers strike again. Late Thursday evening a silver Nissan convertible with Florida license plate was seen lying upside down on top of rocks lining a canal connected to Lake Osceola and partially submerged in the water behind the University Center.

20180405_205850.jpg

The car is flipped and submerged in the canal perpendicular to Stanford Drive, where the driver lost control of the vehicle on Thursday evening. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia Whitely confirmed the driver was a University of Miami student and that he is OK. No other injuries were reported, despite the car rushing through a sidewalk to get to the canal.

“It’s very, very lucky for the university and for that student, obviously, because he came over and people were walking and the car flipped into the lake,” Whitely said.

Around 8:30 p.m., University of Miami Police Department and Coral Gables Police responded to the call. It was not immediately clear if there was a passenger in the car after the driver was pulled out. Officers on the scene said there were no injuries and a preliminary search had been done to ensure there were no passengers in the vehicle.

20180405_205949.jpg

A concrete parking barrier near the sidewalk along Stanford Drive was damaged in the crash. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

Whitely and UMPD officers could not confirm the student’s identity, but officers said the incident was caused by his trying to cut another driver off to enter a parking space.

Image uploaded from iOS (7).jpg

Water drained from the vehicle after the crane pulled it from the water. Students gathered to watch the spectacle from behind the caution-taped area. Photo credit: Isabella Cueto

The car was pulled out of the water around 10:15 p.m. Police divers began the process of getting the car out shortly before 10 p.m. As the crane pulled the convertible out of the canal and over the same parking spots the driver had been trying to nab just hours earlier, water poured out from the trunk.

Correction, 10:52 p.m., April 5, 2018: This article previously stated that the car was a Mazda convertible. It has been updated to reflect that it was a Nissan.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Isabella Cueto, Amanda Herrera, Tommy Fletcher and Hunter Crenian contributed to reporting.

Annie Cappetta

Annie Cappetta can be reached on Twitter at @acmcappetta and via email at acmcappetta@gmail.com

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...

After rallying to force a split, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miamis women's tennis team was u ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will wrap up the memorable 2018 season as No. 42 in t ...