Basketball, Cover, Sports

Sophomore Dewan Huell declares for NBA Draft

Dewan Huell

Sophomore forward Dewan Huell goes up for the left-handed layup in a matchup against Virginia Tech March 3 at the Watsco Center. Huell scored nine points and pulled down four rebounds in a 69-68 Miami win. Photo credit: Josh White

For the second time in as many weeks, a Miami Hurricane has declared for the 2018 NBA Draft.

Sophomore Dewan Huell made the decision to go pro on Monday, April 2, joining fellow sophomore Bruce Brown Jr., who declared March 22. Like Brown, Huell did not hire an agent, giving him the option to return to Miami should he decide to take his name out of draft consideration. The deadline for underclassmen to withdraw from the draft is June 11.

The 6-foot-11, 220-pound forward announced his decision on social media.

“I would like to thank the man above for this opportunity, Canes fans and to all those who supported me through the ups and downs,” he said.

Huell, a native of Miami and a former five-star McDonald’s All-American, started all 32 games for the Hurricanes during the 2017-2018 season that ended in a first-round exit in the NCAA Tournament. He averaged 11.4 points, 6.7 rebounds and 57.6 percent shooting, ranking second on the team in each category. He also recorded 31 blocks, which ranked tied for first.

Huell has made immense strides from his freshman year, nearly doubling his stats in points and rebounds. He recorded five double-doubles, had three 20-plus point games and scored in double figures 20 times this season.

While Huell and Brown have declared, the Canes are still waiting to hear from freshman Lonnie Walker IV. The Reading Eagle reported in March that Walker is “50-50″ on whether he wants to return to school or leave for the NBA. He averaged a team-high 11.5 points in his first season.

Players have until April 22 to enter their names into the NBA Draft, which is set for June 21.

More details will be added to the story as they become available.

Josh White

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

The young man convicted of killing former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor returned to ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...