Former World Series champion still stays true to UM roots

Photo credit: Miami Athletics

University of Miami alumni make their presence felt in Major League Baseball, but few keep their Miami Hurricane connection like Jon Jay does.

When it comes to representing UM, Jay, a World Series Champion and currently a member of the Kansas City Royals, still proudly bleeds orange and green.

“I was born and raised in Miami – I’ve been a Cane my whole life,” said Jay, who played for the Hurricanes from 2004-06.

Once a college player turns professional, he might make an appearance at his alma mater every now and then – for special occasions. But Jay, who batted .387 with 172 total hits and 108 RBIs while at Miami, is different. Canes athletics remains a significant part of his life.

“I’ve been following Canes football, basketball and baseball pretty much my whole life,” Jay said. “Once I got into college, I haven’t missed a season since then.”

Jay often shows up for Hurricanes baseball practices to help advise the team for the upcoming season.

“I got to see the freshman class that came in,” he said. “It’s an impressive freshman class, and they’re really going after it.”

Jay has also attended multiple Hurricanes sporting events in the past year, including College GameDay and several men’s basketball games.

The MLB center fielder is one of the greatest players in Miami program history. He is one of only nine Canes to hit above .400 with more than 200 at-bats.

Jay started his career with the St. Louis Cardinals, where he won the 2011 World Series.