Basketball, Sports

Hurricanes advance to ACC Tournament quarterfinals after defeating Demon Deacons

Miami had the game under control, leading by as many as 13 points. But then Wake Forest made a late push, going on a 7-0 run with just under four minutes remaining in the final quarter.

The Hurricanes remained poised, however, and rode some solid defense and efficient free-throw shooting from seniors Erykah Davenport and Keyanna Harris to victory.

Led by 16 points and eight rebounds from Davenport, No. 6-seeded UM beat No. 11-seeded Wake Forest 68-60 March 1 in the second round of the ACC Tournament in Greensboro, North Carolina. The Canes (21-9, 10-6 ACC) move on to play the No. 3-seeded Florida State Seminoles (24-5, 12-4 ACC) at 8 p.m. March 2 in the quarterfinals.

Harris and junior forward/center Emese Hof each scored 13 points for Miami. Harris dished out a game-high eight assists.

Wake Forest’s (14-17, 5-11 ACC) Alex Sharp and Elisa Penna scored 17 points apiece. Sharp pulled down a game-high 13 rebounds in the losing effort.

The Hurricanes have now gone four-straight years with at least one ACC Tournament win.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...

After rallying to force a split, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miamis women's tennis team was u ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will wrap up the memorable 2018 season as No. 42 in t ...