Basketball, Sports

Miami survives late-game scare to defeat Virginia Tech

After a tough loss against the No. 4 Louisville Cardinals last week, the Miami Hurricanes needed a bounce-back performance.

Led by seniors Erykah Davenport and Keke Harris, the Canes delivered just that, defeating the Virginia Tech Hokies 82-78 Sunday, Jan. 28, at the Cassell Coliseum in Blacksburg, Virginia.

Davenport finished with 22 points, 16 of which came in the first half, while Harris scored 13 points and pulled down 10 rebounds off the bench, securing her first career double-double.

Miami (15-7, 5-4 ACC) led for nearly the entire contest, but saw a lead as high as 17 get cut to two with under a minute left after a 16-5 Virginia Tech (14-8, 3-6 ACC) run.

But a forced turnover and some late-game free throws sealed the victory for the Hurricanes, who have won their last 13 games against the Hokies. Miami didn’t hit a field goal in the final 3:17.

V-Tech has lost four of its last five games.

Rachel Camp led the Hokies with a season-high 25 points, hitting 9 of her 15 shots. Redshirt junior Regan Magarity scored 17 points, hitting the 1,000 career point mark in her time at V-Tech.

UM junior forward/center Emese Hof, who scored 20 against Louisville, had just seven points on 2-of-3 shooting and four fouls, but she hit the last two crucial free-throws for the win.

Virginia Tech had problems offensively and defensively, recording 10 turnovers and 10 fouls in the first half.

In the first half, the Canes were hot from the three-point line, hitting 6 of 8 from long range.

The Hokies ended the first half on a scoring drought that lasted the final 2:48 of the second quarter.

Miami looks next to play on the road against North Carolina at 2 p.m. Feb. 4 at the Dean Smith Center.

Virginia Tech looks to get back on track when it faces off against Syracuse at 7 p.m. Feb. 1 at the Carrier Dome.

Maxwell Trink

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

Michelle Atherley closed out the Bryan Clay Invitational with a record-setting performance in the wo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will begin the final weekend of its regular season wi ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Eight members of the University of Miami track and field team earned All-ACC Academic honors for the ...

Nine members of the University of Miami track and field team will represent the Hurricanes at the Vi ...