Basketball, Cover, Sports

Bruce Brown out six weeks after foot injury

Bruce Brown Jr.

Sophomore guard Bruce Brown Jr. goes up for the contested layup in an 80-74 Miami win over Florida State Jan. 7 at the Watsco Center. Brown finished with 23 points, going 12-of-14 from the free-throw line. Photo credit: Josh White

The University of Miami announced Tuesday that sophomore guard Bruce Brown Jr. will undergo surgery after sustaining a left foot injury during practice Monday. Brown is expected to miss approximately six weeks, which would mean a return right around March Madness.

Brown has been the Hurricanes’ most versatile player, leading the team in rebounds, assists and steals per game at 7.1, 4.0 and 1.3, respectively. He is also second on the team in scoring, averaging 11.4 points per game.

“My life changes dramatically without Bruce Brown – he impacts the game in so many different ways,” coach Jim Larrañaga said. “He is the face of the program, so we’re going to miss him dearly.”

Brown has battled injuries all season, including a nagging injury to his non-shooting left hand that caused him to miss one game and to play with tape around his pointer and middle fingers.

He has struggled to shoot the ball efficiently this season, hitting just under 42 percent of his attempts, but is still a vital part of UM’s offense. This is a huge blow for the Hurricanes who lose one of their primary ball handlers.

It is not confirmed who will start over Brown, but it will likely be either sophomore D.J. Vasiljevic or freshman Chris Lykes.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...