Campus Life, News

News Briefs: Week of 1/29

Safety in 60 Minutes

When: 3-4 p.m. Jan. 31

Where: Whitten Learning Center, room 170

Here in Miami, hurricanes aren’t the only threat to safety. The Office of Emergency Management will inaugurate its new safety training class – All-Hazards Response Training: Safety in 60 Minutes. The hourlong training will focus on providing emergency response information to the most common hazards the campus community faces. The training is free and open to everyone.

Dancing with Dictators: A Family’s Journey from Pre-Castro Cuba to Exile in the Turbulent Sixties

When: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Jan. 31

Where: Robert and Judi Prokop Newman Alumni Center, 6200 San Amaro Dr.

The University of Miami will host Luis Santeiro, a Cuban who moved to Miami at the age of 12, for a book talk regarding his family’s experience in fleeing Fidel Castro’s communist regime and relocating to the United States. Santeiro won 20 Emmy Awards as a writer for Sesame Street and one as head writer for ¿Qué Pasa, U.S.A? the first bilingual sitcom on national television.

FunDay 2018

When: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 3

Where: UM Coral Gables Campus

FunDay, the longest standing service day at the University of Miami, will be returning for another year of service. Hundreds of UM students participate in the annual event that brings special needs members of the Miami-Dade community to campus. Each student is paired with a “buddy” to participate in activities, such as karaoke and field events.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...