What kind of impression has this first semester left on the Class of 2021?

During O-week, we all sat in the Watsco Center with the people who would soon become our beloved roommates, classmates, friends and, for some, significant others. We were taught spirit chants, told about the greatness of UM, and, most importantly, learned that “your education belongs to U.”

We sat wide-eyed, pondering the possibilities of this new chapter – but we never imagined that a major hurricane would hit and force us to leave our new home just a few weeks after we arrived. We didn’t we think the term “hurrication” would become an essential part of our vocabulary. One (almost) undefeated football season and an A$AP Ferg concert later, we were able to overcome the effects of Hurricane Irma and make the most of our first semester at the U.

As we prepare to take on spring semester, it seems impossible that it was only four months ago that we first left our homes to become adults. For the UM Class of 2021, the unconventional nature of this semester has made it that much more special, while simultaneously reminding us that it’s great to be a Miami Hurricane, regardless of the situation.

Andrea Illan is a freshman majoring in journalism and political science.

Andrea Illan

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...