Cover, Football, Sports

Miami overcomes early woes, scores 30 unanswered points to defeat Virginia 44-28

Miami just keeps finding different ways to win.

The No. 3 Hurricanes were down by as many as 14 points two separate times, which is the largest deficit they had faced all season.

But both times, they came roaring back in typical UM fashion: with the Turnover Chain and a few big plays by starting quarterback Malik Rosier.

Miami overcame an exceptional performance by Virginia quarterback Kurt Benkert to defeat the Cavaliers 44-28 and remain undefeated in a back-and-forth matchup Saturday afternoon at Hard Rock Stadium.

Miami (10-0, 7-0 ACC) scored 30 unanswered points to close the contest.

The UM offense was anything but consistent against Virginia (6-5, 3-4 ACC), specifically in the first half. But the Canes kept grinding like they had been doing all year, fighting until they got the breakthrough.

Rosier threw for 210 yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions. He added 38 rushing yards on nine carries and the eight-yard touchdown run in the red zone that gave Miami its first convincing lead with four minutes remaining in the final quarter.

Benkert, who finished with 384 yards passing and four touchdowns, was absolutely on fire, completing his first 12 passes and throwing just one incompletion going into the second half.

But his first mistake became one that Virginia could not recover from.

After the Hurricanes scored to make it 28-21 with the Cavaliers up, Benkert threw an interception right into the hands of UM safety Jaquan Johnson who returned the ball all the way back for the touchdown to tie the game with 9:57 left in the third quarter.

Virginia’s offense never looked the same from that point.

Canes sophomore running back Travis Homer had just five yards rushing on six carries at halftime. He finished with 96 yards rushing on 17 carries and the touchdown that put the game away with 1:16 left. He also completed the 36-yard rush that set up the Rosier touchdown-run late in the fourth quarter.

The Miami defense played arguably its worst 30 minutes of coverage football in the first half, but in the second half, it forced Benkert to make a few bad decisions and racked up three huge sacks in the final possessions to eliminate any hope on Virginia’s side.

Johnson, who won ACC Defensive Back of the Week after the win against Notre Dame, continued his strong play against the Cavaliers. He led the team in tackles for the fourth-straight game with nine, while adding a pick-six, a sack and a tackle for loss.

Defensive tackle RJ McIntosh tallied three tackles for loss and senior defensive end Trent Harris recorded two sacks.

UM’s defense racked up 11 tackles for loss, five sacks and forced three turnovers on the afternoon.

Miami will travel to play its final game of the regular season against Pittsburgh at noon Nov. 24 at Heinz Field.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...