News, Student Organization

Democrats organize to stand against DACA rollbacks

On Nov. 9, people across the United States will step out in support of those at risk of deportation now that the fate of nearly a million eligible undocumented immigrants is in jeopardy. The University of Miami College Democrats will be taking part in that movement by hosting Defend DACA: Two Months Without a Dream, an event to educate the community about immigration policies in the United States.

The event will serve as an opportunity for students to learn about issues and misconceptions surrounding immigration, UM College Democrats President Angelica Duque said.

It’s been two months since Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced President Donald Trump’s intent to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, an immigration policy that provides legal protection to undocumented immigrants who came to the country as children. Former President Barack Obama enacted the policy in 2012.

More than 800,000 are currently protected under the program, according to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

For Duque, a junior majoring in political science, the topic of immigration is one that hits close to home. She is a Colombian-American born to two immigrants in New York. Duque, who supported Hillary Clinton in the 2016 election, said Trump’s decision to roll back the DACA program is something she was scared would affect her loved ones.

“A lot of my friends that are my age are first generation, second generation or just moved here and are undocumented, so it’s something that really affects them,” Duque said.

According to a 2015 report from the Migration Policy Institute, 156,000 undocumented immigrants live in Miami-Dade County.

Executive Vice President and Provost Jeffrey Duerk said UM would do everything it could “within the law” to help any student impacted by the administration’s decision.

“Not only is it the right thing to do,” said Duerk at a student media roundtable in October. “It’s the humanitarian thing to do. And when I think of what’s one of the biggest responsibilities I have, I think it comes down to one word: talent … I don’t care where in the world those students come from. I don’t care where in the world the faculty come from. I just want the best.”

For more than two weeks, Duque said she has been hard at work trying to make the DACA event happen. She said because of UM policies prohibiting unregistered demonstrations, the event will be more of a tabling event where students will have the chance to hear immigration stories, write to or call their representatives and learn about other immigration policies the Trump administration has stood against, including the extension of Temporary Protected Status and the preservation of “sanctuary cities.”

The Trump administration has been firm on its intent to minimize illegal immigration and maximize deportation. In January 2017, Trump announced an executive order requiring state and local authorities to comply with and enforce federal statutes, including detaining undocumented immigrants.

Last month, the Department of Homeland Security announced that it would not renew TPS, a program designed to help people from other countries seek refuge in the United States. The program has been mainly designated to foreigners from Caribbean and Central American countries, including in Haiti and Nicaragua, that have been ravaged by natural disasters. The program’s termination would impact an estimated 300,000 people, including the large Haitian population in South Florida.

Duque called Trump’s executive actions and positions “blatant acts of discrimination.” She said she hopes the event debunks myths surrounding immigration and encourages engagement.

“If you don’t like what’s happening and want to make a change, step up,” she said. “Now is the time.”

Students interested in submitting their immigration narratives can email democrats@miami.edu. Submissions will remain anonymous.

Defend DACA: Two Months Without a Dream will be on Nov. 9 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Rock Plaza.

Featured photo courtesy Flickr user Molly Adams.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

4 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Democrats organize to stand against DACA rollbacks”

1. David Farrar says:

What’s the big deal? Ending chain migration and birthright citizenship, plus strong, enforceable E-Verify laws, should pretty well remove all barriers to full amnesty; I’d say.

2. jm fay says:

There are 7 billion people in the world. Only 326 m live in the USA. How many is the right number to be let in here; on a permanent basis? Thats the issue; the numbers. We have nearly 1 in 5 who is an immigrant or their children. Thats alot. Most of these people do not speak English; which means we need to cater to them in Spanish or another language. That means social cohesion in this country is frayed as we dont have one language and if these people further do not intergrate; we lose even more cohesion.

We currently since 1990 due to the 1965 immigration act; allow in over 1 m new immigrants on new green cards every year. We allow in many more millions on various work visas. This is at the same time we are only created 2 to 2.5 m jobs per year while 4 m USA kids turn 18 each year. This means our own kids are competing with everyone else for a job / place in college.

DACA was an illegal program created out of thin air. Obama had no right to create this program and create an entitlement for illegal kids to work legally. That means for each illegal DACA kid working; we dont have a US citizen / legal resident working. Thats 700000 to 800000 jobs just for the illegal DACA kids.

The same way US citizen kids do not benefit from the actions of their parents who commit crimes is the same reason; the illegal DACA kids should not benefit from what their parents did by bringing them over the border / overstaying a legal visa. If they are given amnesty; with alot of enforcmeent provisions enacted first; they should not have the ability to sponser their parents.

We can go on and on but think you get the gist.

NO amnesty. NO work permits. NO nothing but deportation.

3. John Horton says:

Dems should move to Mexico if they want to babysit the DACA ‘kids.”

4. Joe says:

The Miami mayor says he will follow the Feds and ICE, UM not so much. Some provost goes against law and order needs to be removed for worrying too much about liberal positions.

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

Jaquan Johnson doesn’t necessarily look intimidating. But he plays like a monster. Johnson, UM’s 5-1 ...

It will determine which state rival makes the American Athletic Conference championship game when th ...

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America came to the University of Miami Scho ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team will travel to Georgia Tech and Clemson this week for the fi ...