Media portray one-dimensional LGBTQ characters

If you’ve ever seen an episode of “The Office,” you may know the character Oscar Martinez. He is a gay, Latino man who works at Dunder Mifflin as a paper supply accountant. And, despite the numerous episodes I’ve seen, this is all I could tell you about him. I couldn’t tell you anything about his family, aspirations or daily trials and tribulations (except, of course, the notorious Michael Scott).

Oscar is one of many gay characters who function as “token characters,” adding a superficial layer of diversity but providing no depth. We never learn anything about Oscar beyond the fact that he’s gay.

Though representation of gay culture on TV, film and magazines has increased, the representation conveys a warped depiction of LBGTQ life. Media platforms place gay characters on the sidelines and, on the off chance they do get the opportunity to take center stage, their stories revolve around struggles exclusive to being gay.

Nielsen, a company dedicated to studying consumer habits and ratings, found that adults ages 18-24 watch approximately 14.5 hours of TV weekly, ample opportunity for viewers to have their perception of the world melded and comported to the ideology of television.

Camden McNeil, a lesbian-identifying sophomore majoring in finance, said LGBTQ characters are portrayed in a one-dimensional way.

“Television tries to incorporate gay people but all their issues revolve around their ‘gayness,'” she said. “Even on the L Word, the characters deal primarily with issues related to being gay – one of them questions if she’s bi, one of them has a father who isn’t accepting. The media doesn’t show gay people living their lives and having identities outside of being gay.”

We can’t expect the heterosexual, cisgender community to understand the LGBTQ experience when we are skewing it and oversimplifying it right in front of their eyes.

“It’s become a trope to have the comedic, queer best friend,” said Sam Chan, a gay-identifying senior majoring in musical theater. “TV is built upon stereotypes, but being queer is anything but a stereotype. Queer people live outside the box and TV likes to box them in. The media around me tells me I have to be one pole of the gender binary: ‘masc’ or ‘femme.’ But I’m neither, I’m both.”

We depend on the media to mirror our experiences and help us craft our identities. When asked who their biggest media role models were, both students chose real people, not fictional characters. McNeil chose spunky liberal news anchor Rachel Maddow, and Chan said the gay community of YouTube. Impressionable, young LGBTQ people seek real, live inspiration because they don’t feel they see their side of the human condition reflected on TV, in magazines or in film.

The platform we turn to for inspiration and comfort is failing this community and shifting that paradigm is really how we can best serve the LGBTQ population.

Dana Munro is a sophomore majoring in musical theater.

Dana Munro

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team will travel to Georgia Tech and Clemson this week for the fi ...