Soccer, Sports

Hurricanes struggle to take advantage of scoring chances in season finale, lose 3-0 to Demon Deacons

In its final game of the season, Miami just could not heat up offensively on a cold night in Salem, North Carolina, ultimately losing 3-0 to No. 21 Wake Forest.

The Demon Deacons gave the Hurricanes’ defense trouble all night and ended redshirt junior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce’s nine-game streak of at least five saves. Wake Forest’s first goal came in the 33rd minute when midfielder Bayley Fiest got past Tullis-Joyce’s glove for her team-leading eighth goal of the season.

Senior forward Ronnie Johnson had a chance to equalize in the first half from the top of the box, but the shot sailed wide of the net.

“They finished on their opportunities – it’s unfortunate we weren’t able to generate enough opportunities for ourselves,” Tullis-Joyce said. “Their forwards finished when they had to.”

The Canes finish the year with a record of 5-11 and 1-9 in the ACC, ranking second-to-last in the conference. Only the Pittsburgh Panthers, who had zero conference wins, were below them.

Wake Forest (11-4-3, 5-3-2 ACC) pulled away in the second half, where it scored twice in the opening ten minutes. Hannah Betfort dove inside the box for the successful header in the 48th minute. Then, forward Estelle Laurier closed the game with another goal in the box in the 55th.

Four UM seniors played their final match in a Hurricanes’ jersey – forward Ronnie Johnson, midfielder Grace Rapp, defender Danielle Savage and goalkeeper Charlsey Zyne.

“It’s sad when it comes down to the game where your seniors know this is the last game of their college careers,” Coach Mary-Frances Monroe said. “We’re excited and happy about the four years that they put into the program.”

Miami had five losses come from a 1-0 result this season. Thus, Monroe is optimistic about the team’s future.

“We have some younger players who stepped up big time – playing different roles, playing different positions that I know that we can build on and work on for the next few years,” she said. “I believe next year that we’re going to be in a place where we’re going to be really successful.”

Michael Leyva

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...