Soccer, Sports

Hurricanes struggle to take advantage of scoring chances in season finale, lose 3-0 to Demon Deacons

In its final game of the season, Miami just could not heat up offensively on a cold night in Salem, North Carolina, ultimately losing 3-0 to No. 21 Wake Forest.

The Demon Deacons gave the Hurricanes’ defense trouble all night and ended redshirt junior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce’s nine-game streak of at least five saves. Wake Forest’s first goal came in the 33rd minute when midfielder Bayley Fiest got past Tullis-Joyce’s glove for her team-leading eighth goal of the season.

Senior forward Ronnie Johnson had a chance to equalize in the first half from the top of the box, but the shot sailed wide of the net.

“They finished on their opportunities – it’s unfortunate we weren’t able to generate enough opportunities for ourselves,” Tullis-Joyce said. “Their forwards finished when they had to.”

The Canes finish the year with a record of 5-11 and 1-9 in the ACC, ranking second-to-last in the conference. Only the Pittsburgh Panthers, who had zero conference wins, were below them.

Wake Forest (11-4-3, 5-3-2 ACC) pulled away in the second half, where it scored twice in the opening ten minutes. Hannah Betfort dove inside the box for the successful header in the 48th minute. Then, forward Estelle Laurier closed the game with another goal in the box in the 55th.

Four UM seniors played their final match in a Hurricanes’ jersey – forward Ronnie Johnson, midfielder Grace Rapp, defender Danielle Savage and goalkeeper Charlsey Zyne.

“It’s sad when it comes down to the game where your seniors know this is the last game of their college careers,” Coach Mary-Frances Monroe said. “We’re excited and happy about the four years that they put into the program.”

Miami had five losses come from a 1-0 result this season. Thus, Monroe is optimistic about the team’s future.

“We have some younger players who stepped up big time – playing different roles, playing different positions that I know that we can build on and work on for the next few years,” she said. “I believe next year that we’re going to be in a place where we’re going to be really successful.”

Michael Leyva

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...