Opinion, Satire

Satire: Szechuan sauce shortage shows why America needs “Rick and Morty”

It’s time to face the truth, America: we’re stupid. For a nation that prides itself on being an international power, our intelligence has lagged far behind. The United States lags in science, math and IQ scores.

Of course, those statistics aren’t necessary to see that our country has become a cesspool of idiocy. America proved itself to be incompetent enough when McDonald’s locations across the nation experienced severe shortages of the highly-touted Szechuan sauce, which first appeared in 1998 to promote Disney’s feature film “Mulanbut was later removed.

The limited-edition condiment, popularized by the comedy/sci-fi animated series “Rick and Morty,” returned to U.S. restaurants for a single day, Oct. 7. The sauce was met with excitement and, when it ran out, chaos.

The situation got so bad that in some locations, such as at a McDonald’s in Wellington, Florida, police had to be called to scatter angry customers.

How could this happen? Some claim it was a logistical error or miscalculation. Others blame corporate powers at the fast-food giant for failing to anticipate such a wild response.

But how can we fix the naiveté that led to these situations? The answer lies not in our educational system but in the TV masterpiece that is “Rick and Morty.”

Any user of the almighty internet can tell you that “Rick and Morty” viewers are more likely to have higher IQs. This can be attributed to the show’s extremely subtle humor, as well as its constant references to theoretical physics, nihilistic philosophies and popular culture.

But what if watching the show actually made viewers brighter? To test this theory, I decided to take a standardized exam, binge all three seasons of the show, then take a similar test afterward.

Before “Rick and Morty,” I was unable to solve even the most basic of algebraic equations. After binge-watching, I could do integral calculus in my head, transcribe entire symphonies after one listen and recite the entire screenplay of “Breakin’ 2: Electric Boogaloo” in 23 minutes flat.

After completing this experiment, I have concluded that “Rick and Morty” makes viewers smarter. Trust me, now that I’m a super genius, I have a very deep understanding of the scientific method.

Imagine if the employees at your local McDonald’s had done the same thing. There would be no shortage of Szechuan sauce. There would be portals sending that sweet Szechuan sauce from the factory directly onto your 20-piece McNuggets. There would be crowds of like-minded individuals waiting to respond to your shouts of “Pickle Rick!” with cheers of companionship.

But how can we spread the good news of “Rick and Morty?” We could make it government-mandated viewing, but, instead, I propose what the geniuses of the world do best – spam Reddit and social media until the sheeple occupying most of the country can no longer ignore it.

Wake up, America. If you’re not a Rick yet, you’re going to be one soon, whether you like it or not.

Jason Donnelly is a freshman majoring in instrumental performance.

Featured photo courtesy pixabay user Alexas_Fotos.

Jason Donnelly

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Satire: Szechuan sauce shortage shows why America needs “Rick and Morty””

1. Daniel Otero says:

Yes, I love my country, but what you’re saying is absolutely true and then when others say it, we easily get offended.

For a democracy and free society we are sure paranoid about other people. Instead of being open minded.

Take myself, I live in China. No, it doesn’t mean I’m a communist and raising the banner to the ghost of Chairman Mao. Actually, that’s the furthest from the truth. By the way, 110,000 other Americans live in China.

I live here because I fell in love with a great Chinese woman and I live an honest life without bothering anybody. I perform an honest day’s work, for an honest day’s pay. I learn from a culture which someday I wish to take back to my country and share it with others. No, things aren’t perfect and it’s no wonderland. However, it’s a country improving in modernism and great strides. I hope this can be done peacefully between the U.S. and China.

You see, I’m from New York, there are places I wouldn’t go after 10 p.m. because they are too dangerous. In China I never felt such danger. But I often hear stupidity in the news, calling this place ‘dangerous’.

However, every time I deal with my own back Stateside, I’m dealt with more suspicion and fear than ever. Something, I don’t deal with much in this society and its limitations. Often than not, people are friendlier.

When I read your article, I think of the B-52’s song “MESOPOTAMIA”. “Before you open your mouth, you should read a book…”

Thank you for allowing me to share…

Lighten-up America, don’t allow petty ‘shortages’ to bog you down.

Regards,

Daniel

Happy Thanksgiving! I started this while I was sitting in Washington-Dulles Airport awaiting my seco ...

This is how extraordinary the University of Miami football season has been: When the Hurricanes won ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes nuggets on Thanksgiving: • There’s no doubt that UM’s home field advantage ...

You’ve got to expect the Las Vegas sportsbooks to come strong and smart with two days of Florida col ...

Here’s why UM moving up to No. 2 in the CFP poll was important, for reasons that extend beyond Canes ...

At the entrance of the University of Miami’s Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic S ...

UM Police Department's Innovative Fundraiser Sells Abandoned Bikes to Support United Way ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

Here are three matchups to watch as the No. 2 Hurricanes face Pitt with a chance to finish the regul ...

The tournament will be played in Southern California next November 22, 23 and 25. ...

Dewan Huell scored a career-high 16 points as the Canes defeated La Salle in Reading, Pa. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team had to break a 10-year-old record to overcome sturdy Georgia ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...