Edge, Music

2017 BET Hip Hop Awards still hot with move from Atlanta to Miami

Flashing lights and a red carpet adorned the entrance of the Fillmore Miami Beach at the Jackie Gleason Theater, where popular producer and influencer DJ Khaled hosted the 2017 BET Hip Hop Awards.

The award show garnered attention this year when Eminem’s four-and-a-half minute lyrical solo morphed into a politically-charged freestyle, criticizing President Donald Trump.

“That’s an awfully hot coffee pot / Should I drop it on Donald Trump? Probably not / But that’s all I got ’til I come up with a solid plot.”

This year also marked the first time the BETs weren’t held in Atlanta. A few miles north from campus, in South Beach’s iconic Fillmore venue, celebrities filled the venue to watch the event.

DJ Khaled displayed his Miami pride by frequently shouting to the crowd, “Miami-Dade 305!”

The spotlight shined on Miami once again when Miami’s own Luther “Uncle Luke” Campbell won the lifetime achievement award. Uncle Luke rose to fame as manager of the controversial music group 2 Live Crew.

“Thirty-five years in this business, and ain’t nobody ever honor me for s—,” Campbell said in his acceptance speech. “We got kicked off the stage, they said we wasn’t hip-hop.”

He concluded his speech by namedropping Miami’s biggest stars, including host DJ Khaled and Rick Ross.

The annual event features new artists that have gained national recognition, and this year included South Florida native Ski Mask the Slump God from Broward County, Detroit’s Tee Grizzly and Atlanta’s 6lack.

Migos performed “Too Hotty,” Playboi Carti rapped “Magnolia” and Cardi B spat out her hard-hitting anthem, “Bodak Yellow.”

The rising female rapper Cardi B also won five awards, and cemented star Kendrick Lamar won four awards, including “Album of the Year” for “DAMN.”

Photo courtesy Flickr user Phil Monger.

Morgan Threatt

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

University of Miami cornerback Michael Jackson loves that turnover chain, but not nearly as much as ...

Assuming he follows through on his commitment to the University of Miami, Class of 2019 tight end La ...

For those University of Miami fans praying that redshirt freshman N'Kosi Perry unseats veteran ...

Oklahoma sophomore guard Kameron McGusty and Wyoming freshman guard Anthony Mack are transferring to ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The 13th annual UM Family Night with the Miami Marlins lives up to its name. ...

It’s been a year and half since his wife of almost 52 years, Nancy T. Clasby, a pioneering English p ...

Former Treasury Secretary Lawrence Summers called for economic policies and practices that embrace c ...

UM's Global Entertainment + Sport Conference brings top athletes, broadcasters and professional ...

Freshman Chris McMahon delivered eight dominant innings on the hill in his second collegiate start, ...

Michelle Atherley kicked off the women's heptathlon at the Bryan Clay Invitational with an exce ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Malik Rosier entered the spring as the incumbent, but a trio of quarterbacks are pushing him as the ...

University of Miami head rowing coach Dave Sanderson announced Wednesday the signing of Catherine No ...