Baseball, Sports

UM baseball looking for walk-on athletes

Miami Hurricanes baseball will be holding a mandatory compliance meeting at the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence at 3 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 9.

Walk-on tryouts will be held at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 17.

Anyone interested can call the baseball office at 305-284-4171 for more information.

UM’s 2017 recruiting class was ranked No. 8 in the country by Baseball America in September. The class is ranked No. 2 in the ACC, which continues a longstanding trend of top recruits choosing the University of Miami.

Miami’s 2016 group was ranked No. 13, its 2014 group was ranked No. 20, its 2013 class was ranked No. 6 and its 2012 newcomers were ranked No. 9.

Two members of the 2017 class were selected in the 2017 MLB First-Year Player Draft – right-handed pitcher Chris McMahon was taken by Milwaukee in the 33rd round while infielder Ray Gil was picked in the 37th round by Oakland.

Danny Reyes, an incoming transfer from Broward Junior College, was drafted in the 39th round by the Boston Red Sox out of high school in 2015.

McMahon (No. 76), first baseman Alex Toral (No. 199), outfielder Gabe Rivera (No. 329) and first baseman Connor Allen (No. 440) were all ranked among BaseballAmerica’s top 500 draft-eligible prospects.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...