Edge, Food

Farmers market returns after nearly a month’s delay

FarmersMarket2_AK-1024x683.jpg

File photo.

On Sept. 27, nearly a month after school began, maze-like lines and familiar white tents sprung up in front of Richter Library as the farmers market returned in full swing.

The farmer’s market is a university staple, something that many students and faculty look forward to every Wednesday. Not only does the market have fresh fruits, but it offers food from numerous cultures, such as Korean barbecue, Argentinian choripan and French crêpes. There are also trendy options, including açai bowls, coconut water and green juices.

While its return elated the UM community, it was an even bigger relief for the vendors. The delay in opening the market, as well as the monster hurricane endured by the entire state, majorly impacted vendors’ sales – especially for those who rely on various farmers markets for income.

Given their reliance on local consumers to sustain their businesses, vendors speculated that sales would be hurt by the damaging effects of Hurricane Irma.

Kim Jin, farmers market vendor and owner of Korean Kitchen, said they are glad to have recovered and returned to campus.

“There is such a strong demand and interest in all the fresh and exotic products, Jin said. “There is no doubt that the community will help to boost and restore sales.”

Freshman Nicole Perez said the market was a nice break from the dining hall and great exposure to a diverse array of foods from the Miami area, especially for students without cars.

“It is really cool and convenient to be able to experience all these different foods right on campus,” Perez said.

Experiencing the scale of the farmer’s market for the first time, freshman Leala Solomon expressed her surprise at the extent of all the market has to offer.

The farmer’s market gives students the opportunity to taste sustainably sourced, local foods from all different cultures, and it reinforces the idea that healthy eating is available and accessible.

The market comes to UM 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. every Wednesday while classes are in session.

Sharon Moy

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team will travel to Georgia Tech and Clemson this week for the fi ...