Campus Life, Cover, Edge, News, Student Government

Homecoming 2017 theme: Magic in U

The University of Miami’s homecoming committee revealed this year’s Homecoming Week theme to be “The Magic in U” on Monday.

“We always describe homecoming as such a magical time, and the way that the committee developed the theme fit the vision perfectly,” said Laura Thornton, chair of the Homecoming Executive Committee.

The theme was revealed through a Facebook video at 11 a.m. on Sept. 25, and two hours later has 1.6K views and 43 shares.

The video includes clips of past Homecoming football games and the traditional boat burning and fireworks. It culminated with Sebastian the Ibis holding a wand and wearing a sorcerer hat while adding a mini Hurricane football jersey and a football to a cauldron, creating the Homecoming theme.

“The theme will encompass all things magical, from spells and potions to princes and princesses,” said Thorton. “We want everyone to have fun with it and also remember that UM is a magical place and take time to appreciate it.”

Homecoming is a long-standing tradition at UM. Since in 1926, the UM community has united through a week of events that highlight the school’s spirit and tradition. If you want to learn more about planning homecoming, their first team meeting will be today, Monday, Sept. 25, at 8 p.m. in the Shalala Center.

Shellie Frai

Shellie Frai can be reached via email at shelliefrai@gmail.com or on Twitter at @fraishellie.

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...