Finance, Hurricane, News

Financial aid office offers extra emergency aid to students post-Irma

Any University of Miami student financially impacted by recent natural disasters may be eligible for additional emergency funds from the university’s Office of Student Financial Assistance and Employment (OSFAE).

UM is allowed to distribute the funding because of an emergency declaration made by the Department of Education, OSFAE Executive Director Raymond Nault-Hix said. The funding will go toward covering “education-related essentials” – expenses students incurred to be safe during the storm, which may include airfare, hotel stays and meals.

Nault-Hix said OSFAE will pull money from wherever possible to provide emergency assistance to students in the shortest amount of time possible. Each application submitted before the Oct. 6 deadline will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

In order to qualify, students must submit documentation and proof of payment of the expenses and a completed 2017-2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. Students must have remaining eligibility for federal assistance. Personal property damage is not covered because it is typically covered by insurance, but students may be eligible for funding from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

If students have any questions, Nault-Hix advised to call the OSFAE, which has extended call hours until 6 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday. The phone number is 305-284-6000 (option 2 for undergraduate students, option 3 for law or graduate students; medical students should call 305-284-6211).

Isabella Cueto

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

Kevin Arreaga smashed a school record in the men's hammer throw to lead the University of Miami ...

A ninth-inning solo home from Pittsburgh proved the difference Friday night, as Miami dropped the se ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team notched its 10th ACC win of the season with a 5-2 road tri ...

Straight-set victories at the top four singles positions brought the University of Miami men's ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the region Sunday, the University of Miami baseball program ann ...