Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: Suchlicki resignation embarrasses the University of Miami

Re: President Frenk meets with Cuban-American community

I used to think that intolerance of diverse political and social thought was confined to left-leaning college campuses such as UC Berkeley.

As a Cuban-American and UM alumnus, I am saddened to hear that such intolerance has now reached the University of Miami, specifically the Institute of Cuban and Cuban-American Studies (ICCAS).

How can it be that former director Jaime Suchlicki resigned primarily because he objected to partnerships and exchanges with Cuban educational institutions? Does it make any sense that an organization that seeks to learn about Cuba also avoids interaction with Cubans on the island?

Who can favor eliminating such exchanges except for a small group of Cuban-American hardliners who won’t admit that isolating Cuba and the Cuban people has produced dismal results? President Frenk appeasing these hardliners is yet another example of university administrators failing to support the ideals of free speech and association that form the core of our society and educational system.

The long road to a free and prosperous Cuba begins with opening minds on both sides of the Florida Straits. Cuban students and educators need exposure to the vigorous critical thinking that is the hallmark of the American university system. American students would benefit from knowing that daily life in Cuba is very far from the idealized world portrayed by Castro apologists in the media and entertainment business.

In the end, we all lose by not following through with the proposed exchanges with Cuban universities. The Suchlicki affair embarrassed me as a Cuban-American and alumnus of the University of Miami.

Ignacio Sosa is a graduate of the Class of 1978 who majored in finance.

Read more: Partnership with Cuban institutes is necessary for widening US-Cuban relations.

Photo courtesy Pixabay user dassel.

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Letter to the Editor: Suchlicki resignation embarrasses the University of Miami”

1. Ignacio Sosa says:

My father, brother, uncle and multiple cousins were imprisoned by the Castro regime. I believe that the Castro brothers are a disaster as is socialism/ communism. My point is, let’s bypass them and help the Cuban people directly. People to people contact is one such way. Isolation is not.

2. Fred Oakes says:

CUBA IS COMUNIST & I HATE COMUNISM!!! WHAT YOU WORK HARD AND LONG FOR, CAN BE TAKEN FROM YOU BY THE GOVERNMENT.
    I am totally against having anything to do with Cuba, period. Cuban Businessmen had their business and property confiscated by Castro. Some Americans lost what they owned in Cuba. Cubans in fear of their lives further risked their lives to get out of Cuba, sailing to South Florida. The Cuban Boat Lift. Some lost their lives knowing the chances they were taking. Castro emptied his jails and prisons and allowed them to go to the U.S. posing as political refugees. We had tremendous problems with them and many Americans were hurt in the process of rounding them up.
    EDUCATION OF OUR YOUNG PEOPLE WILL, AS ALWAYS, BE SELECTIVE. WHAT THEY WILL BE TAUGHT WILL NOT BE THE FULL TRUTH.

They’ve earned their first 10-win season since 2003. Now all they need are two more victories for a ...

It became very clear, as soon as University of Miami coaches began recruiting Lonnie Walker IV, that ...

A six-pack of UM football notes: ▪ After UM’s 44-28 victory against Virginia on Saturday, Cavaliers ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game, featuring the Coastal Division champion Miami Hurri ...

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...