Academics, Hurricane, News

Academic calendar revisions “not set in stone,” students react to announcement

Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 5.30.42 PM.png

The university's 10th advisory was sent out Wednesday night informing students about the resumption of classes on UM's multiple campuses.

Decisions on the resumption of classes and changes to the academic calendar were part of the announcement that many members of the UM community had been awaiting. The decisions, that are not completely finalized, were met with mixed reactions.

According to Provost Jeffrey Duerk, the changes announced to the academic calendar “are not set in stone yet” and “tweaks” can still be made. Among them, the potential to add a class day on Dec. 16, a Saturday. Duerk said administrators are still trying to decide whether the addition is necessary. However, he said, if it is, it would require faculty senate approval.

University of Miami administrators including President Julio Frenk, spent the majority of Wednesday afternoon working through a variety of different adjustments to the fall 2017 academic calendar. Duerk said, around 5 p.m., an agreement was made to cancel the majority of classes until Monday, Sept. 25.

Duerk said the conclusion was based on multiple factors such as student housing availability and classroom conditions. However, he said the most important was safety.

“It really revolved around, primarily and first and foremost, student safety,” he said. “The campus, even today, given the amount of activity that’s going on — debris clearing, downed power lines — we have to make sure that everyone can return safely.”

Bookstore.JPG

Photo Courtesy: UM Facilities Management

It has been almost 10 days since UM sent out an Emergency Notification Network (ENN) Alert to students, faculty and staff announcing the cancelation of “classes and all student related activities” for the remainder of the week of Sept. 4. Hurricane Irma, a brewing storm at the time, was expected to hit South Florida that weekend.

The university sent an alert with a slew of dates on class resumption around 7 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 13. Shortly after, a letter from Vice President for Student Affairs (VPSA) Patricia Whitely was released with changes made to the academic calendar.

Many students, including senior Virgilio Capote, were hoping to return to school as early as next week. However, to Capote’s surprise, not only were classes canceled for another week but so was fall break, originally scheduled for Oct. 12-15.

Capote said, as a Florida resident, the cancelation of fall break has “added pressure.” He said natives would likely have to spend the majority of this week and the following recovering from the storm.

“Where the university may see this week and next as time off for us, that may be made up with our originally allocated time off, the picture is much more dim than the university may be anticipating,” said Capote, a double major in communication studies and philosophy.

Change to the semester had been anticipated. Whitely said the fall academic calendar was undergoing revision in an interview with The Miami Hurricane on Sept. 10.

The last time major changes were made to the school’s calendar was after Hurricane Wilma in 2005. The storm forced campus to close for a week. Eight days of reading and exam days were transformed into regular class days to make up for the missed time. Classes ended on Dec. 14, originally the semester’s last exam day.

Whitely’s letter Wednesday announced the extension of classes until Dec. 20. The university has opted out of holding a traditional final exam period by having finals happen during class times, at the discretion of faculty.

Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 5.31.11 PM.png

The letter also said a Reading Day, scheduled for Dec. 6, had been moved to Dec. 14. Commencement will still be held on Dec. 14.

Duerk said the adjustment ensures students who choose to attend the ceremony are not put in “double jeopardy.”

“If we want them to graduate, then, they should not be asked to miss a class in order to have all the opportunities to celebrate all their times at the University of Miami,” Duerk said. “That’s why there is no classes that day, so they can walk with a clear conscience.”

For senior Earl Generato, commencement occurring before the end of classes is not “ideal” but said he understands the university accommodations. He said his main concern is making the most out of his last semester at UM, including taking classes outside of his major.

“I honestly wish classes started sooner,” said Generato, a biomedical engineering major. “But I am at least happier knowing that the semester has been extended to accommodate … I finally am able to take art classes at UM after almost finishing my major, I would be really disappointed to get that opportunity cut short.”

For some students, the administrative decision to extend classes a week in December has brought a financial hurdle.

Traditionally, the university’s full year academic calendar is released far in advance. The school’s calendar for the 2019-2020 year is already available on the Office of the University Registrar’s website.

Senior Grace Gordon utilizes the advanced notice proactively. She books flights home to Indiana months in advance. Gordon said she had already bought her flight tickets for both fall and winter break.

She called the revisions to extend the semester “unrealistic” because students who already have flights booked are expected to “drop everything and shell out money” to change them.

“Coupled with the high costs associated with a mandatory evacuation, this change may force students to incur another unanticipated cost, something that may not be feasible for all students,” she said. “Students shouldn’t have to choose between financial security and failing a class due to an absence during finals.”

Gordon, a double major in advertising and French, said between flights and hotels used to evacuate before Hurricane Irma to having to cancel her upcoming flights, she has spent about $1,000.

Duerk said he hopes everyone understands the rarity of a circumstance like Hurricane Irma.

“The most important thing for people to recognize is that this is a very unusual and exceptional event and, creativity and flexibility is what we’re asking of not only students but faculty and staff,” he said.

Duerk said he encourages students to reach out to airlines that as soon as possible to accommodate flights. He said airlines “certainly appreciate the impact that the hurricane has cost.”

More information, including when residential students will be expected to move out after finals is expected to be released in the next few days.

This story will be updated when more information becomes available.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Academic calendar revisions “not set in stone,” students react to announcement”

1. Pat says:

I, for one, am so relieved with the hard and challenging decisions that UM administration has had to make about the calendar changes. I feared students would face Exams after Christmas, classes on Saturdays, etc. The schedule causes us too to have to eat the cost of changing airline tickets, disappointment about Fall break, incur the significant cost of evacuation, etc. However, UM has acted responsibly, reasonably, and compassionately to the circumstances over which they had no control. Mother Nature is not always kind. A hurricane is very expensive and I feel if the only costs my family incurred were flight changes and a few days of evacuation cost (as compared to destruction of the school, cancelled semester, destroyed belongings, or death of our kids), I believe we have fared extraordinarily well. I truly feel blessed as many lost so much more that is not replaceable. Thank you to UM Administration for your wise decisions, to the heavy burden on faculty that the lost class time will place on faculty to get all essential content covered well, and to all the behind-the-scenes employees needed to get our kids back in a SAFE and supportive environment. Thank you.

2. Jalil Mahini says:

Just like Grace Gordon, there are many students who have booked such flights based on your academic calendars released far in advance. We also booked our vacation for the fall break & Christmas break. You have put them in jeopardy. The airlines do not understand these things. They are scavengers & charge passengers a lot of money. Just for the fall break, I lost over $900.00 due to airlines tickets being cancelled or re-scheduled. Who will reimburse that for us? Will the University do that? You want us to eat that cost? You should not penalize students & parents who have planned in advance & will suffer financial & mental setbacks. It is also not fair to take their downtown / vacations away. You could hold classes on Saturdays to make up for the lost days OR longer hours on weekdays. But to ask students & parents to change their vacation plans is very unfair. Am I bitter? Sure / yes. Even your announcement of closing school on Tuesday, Sept 5th was bad timing as thousands of students just returned on Monday, back from a 3-4 day weekend (Labor day). The airlines jacked up pricing from Tuesday morning to 5-10 times their regular prices. Just be fair to everyone, not just to yourselves. Consider other people’s needs. Allow those who have planned vacations in advance to leave without penalties. Financial penalties are huge for any change in vacation plans.

Happy Thanksgiving! I started this while I was sitting in Washington-Dulles Airport awaiting my seco ...

This is how extraordinary the University of Miami football season has been: When the Hurricanes won ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes nuggets on Thanksgiving: • There’s no doubt that UM’s home field advantage ...

You’ve got to expect the Las Vegas sportsbooks to come strong and smart with two days of Florida col ...

Here’s why UM moving up to No. 2 in the CFP poll was important, for reasons that extend beyond Canes ...

At the entrance of the University of Miami’s Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic S ...

UM Police Department's Innovative Fundraiser Sells Abandoned Bikes to Support United Way ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

Here are three matchups to watch as the No. 2 Hurricanes face Pitt with a chance to finish the regul ...

The tournament will be played in Southern California next November 22, 23 and 25. ...

Dewan Huell scored a career-high 16 points as the Canes defeated La Salle in Reading, Pa. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team had to break a 10-year-old record to overcome sturdy Georgia ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...