Edge, Hurricane, Theater

Pippin rehearsals get postponed

In light of Hurricane Irma and all University of Miami campuses shutting down starting Sept. 5, clubs and organizations had to postpone their meetings and rehearsals.

On a campus of nearly 16,000 students and 270 clubs and organizations, moving this many plans was no easy feat.

When it came to postponing rehearsals for the Ring Theatre’s upcoming play, “Pippin,” not only was production halted but the sets and costume-making had to stop as well.

“We assume most of our students have left,” Chairman of the Department of Theatre Arts Stephen Di Benedetto said. “We have canceled rehearsals until university operations begin again … We have certainly lost time building the sets and costumes.”

The delay has everyone wondering if the show will be ready by opening night Sept. 28. Benedetto said the department must wait and see how long production is delayed before deciding.

Benedetto said he remains confident. As they say in theater, Benedetto insists “the show must go on.”

Shellie Frai

Shellie Frai can be reached via email at shelliefrai@gmail.com or on Twitter at @fraishellie.

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in its first road game of the seaso ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...