Hurricane

Being kind to oneself and others during a crisis

Ben Stocking is the University of Miami Counseling Center psychologist who is staying with students at the university shelter during Hurricane Irma. These are his tips for coping with a crisis like a hurricane.

Acknowledge the feelings

Crisis situations can bring about feelings of distress, guilt and worry. Stocking says “be present” with those emotions and allow yourself to feel them. Don’t stress about hypotheticals unnecessarily; handle situations as they arise. 

Use positive coping mechanisms

Reach out to family and friends for support. Try to have fun during waiting periods by playing games, talking to loved ones, writing, drawing, reading, etc. 

Take care of yourself

Turn off the news for a while. Eat, sleep, soothe yourself with music. 

Connect with your community

Ask for and offer help. It can take time to heal, but remember everyone is being affected in one way or another. Be kind and compassionate to yourself and to others. 

The after-hours counseling center hotline is still running and can be reached at 305-284-5511. 

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

University of Miami women's golfer Dewi Weber wasted little time this season in adding to her a ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...