Soccer, Sports

Miami offense cashes in on opportunities to beat Quinnipiac 3-1

The Hurricanes brought the rain to Hamden, Connecticut, and came out with a 3-1 victory over the Quinnipiac Bobcats on Saturday afternoon.

Three Canes hit the back of the net for the first time this season: sophomore midfielder Lauren Markwith, junior midfielder Jamie Brunworth and freshman forward Michelle Giamportone.

Miami was the aggressor in both halves, and scoring chances came in bunches. The Hurricanes’ offense dominated with a 32-3 shot differential and 14-1 with shots on goal.

“I was proud of the team for scoring some really nice goals today,” coach Mary-Frances Monroe said. “We talked about dominating a game, and we did that. We had the majority of possession and limited our turnovers.”

It was a welcome victory for the team after suffering two straight losses on the road. The match marked the last of a four-game road trip.

The Canes (4-2-0) ended the first half with seven shots on goal. The Bobcats had zero. Quinnipiac (3-2-0) goalkeeper Olivia Myszewski put on an impressive display with six saves in the first half to keep the score close.

Markwith found a way past Myszewski in the 42nd minute on an unusual goal coming feet from the net – the ball had bounced off Myszewski after a shot attempt by sophomore Kristina Fisher. The ball then ricocheted off the post after an initial attempt from Markwith, who then guided it into the net.

A scorching shot from Quinnipiac’s Nadya Gill in the 52nd minute evened the score at 1-1. Gill’s shot came from outside the box off her right foot.

The following 20 minutes were filled with plenty of chances for Miami to take the lead, including a shot by Fisher in the 68th minute that was saved by Myszewski and an attempt that just barely missed over the crossbar by senior Grace Rapp in the 73rd minute.

The Canes were able to capitalize in the 74th minute when redshirt sophomore midfielder Ainsly Wolfinbarger found Giamportone with a cross into the box. Just four minutes later, Brunworth scored the goal of the match. She rocketed the ball into the corner from 35 yards away, ensuring the win for the Hurricanes.

“When I got the ball with some time and space, I did my best to get the ball on frame to test the keeper – to either get a good rebound scoring-chance or goal,” Brunworth said. “I was glad I was able to bury the shot.”

Miami stayed aggressive throughout, despite missed opportunities and challenging weather conditions.

“With the rain coming down, we knew that we needed to get more chances on goal in the second half because the keeper was having a tough time collecting the ball,” Brunworth said. “I’m very proud of this team for playing through the elements and pulling out a W.”

UM comes back home to face the College of Charleston at 7 p.m. Sept. 8 at Cobb Stadium.

Michael Leyva

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

University of Miami cornerback Michael Jackson loves that turnover chain, but not nearly as much as ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The 13th annual UM Family Night with the Miami Marlins lives up to its name. ...

It’s been a year and half since his wife of almost 52 years, Nancy T. Clasby, a pioneering English p ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will begin the final weekend of its regular season wi ...

Eight members of the University of Miami track and field team earned All-ACC Academic honors for the ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Nine members of the University of Miami track and field team will represent the Hurricanes at the Vi ...

A pair of University of Miami divers were selected to the All-ACC Academic Women's Swimming ...