Edge, Music, Reviews

A$AP Mob’s Cozy Tapes: Vol. 2 Too Cozy is not what you expected

asap-mob-cozy-tapes-vol-2-too-cozy.jpg

Building on the collaborative success of “Cozy Tapes: Vol. 1 Friends,” the second iteration of A$AP Mob’s famous “Cozy Tapes” has arrived. The Harlem-based collective’s release of “Cozy Tapes: Vol. 2 Too Cozy did not disappoint fans of the first album.

Featuring 24 different artists, the album has 17 tracks, including three skits, lasting 51 minutes. Returning collaborators on this back-to-school themed project include Lil Yachty, Playboi Carti and Lil Uzi Vert. Some notable newcomers are Jaden Smith, Frank Ocean and Gucci Mane.

The album begins with a two-minute skit called “Skool Bus.” This friendly back-and-forth track was written by popular Instagram user, “donteriohundon,” who criticizes celebrities on social media.

“Skool Bus” introduces the timely back-to-school theme that’s perpetuated throughout the album. The theme is evident in “Frat Rules,” when Big Sean and A$AP Rocky trade bars about the image their crew portrays.

The album gets darker in the song “Perry Aye,” one of the stronger tracks on the album. The song is laden with foreign high-class references. The title itself is a play on the French sparkling water brand Perrier and American fashion designer Perry Ellis.

An almost unrecognizable Jaden Smith sings the chorus; his voice is lowered and distorted in the track. Smith describes his expensive lifestyle with mentions of Cartier, Ferrari and Dom Perignon. Short and sweet verses from A$AP Rocky, Playboi Carti and A$AP Nast round out “Perry Aye” as a flamboyant, dark hit.

If you’ve been missing Chief Keef since his 2012 series of hits, there’s good news. In the bright and playful beat from producer Pi’erre Bourne on “Blowin’ Minds (Skateboard),” Chief Keef raps in the heavily auto-tuned chorus. Sosa is backed up by verses from A$AP Nast, A$AP Rocky and Playboi Carti.

The album ends strong with the star-stocked single “RAF.” Frank Ocean is in rare form on the track, rapping the longest verse of the song. Tracks such as “Walk on Water” and “Blowin’ Minds (Skateboard)” are sure to blare at upcoming functions.

While “Cozy Tapes: Vol. 2 Too Cozy delivers some solid hits with a fun, school-like theme, even the strongest songs are not of the same caliber of the original “Cozy Tapes: Vol. 1 Friends.However, the skits in “Vol. 2” convey a more cohesive theme. While it’s no “Vol. 1,” “Vol. 2” is a nice addition to the original.

Eric Purcell

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

University of Miami women's golfer Dewi Weber wasted little time this season in adding to her a ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...