Campus Life, News, Student Government

New student tailgate zone to open for 2017 football season

Saturday’s home football game will kickoff the season with a new team and a new tailgate zone, too. It’s called the Student Fan Zone, and it will provide students with what other football tailgates usually lack: shade, water, food, picnic tables and real bathrooms.

After a controversial policy change halfway through last year’s football season, Hard Rock Stadium instituted later tailgate start times and a ban on loudpeakers and DJs. Student Government and the Dean of Students office felt the university should do more to enhance the tailgating experience while ensuring students’ safety.

The result was that students started taking their pre-game celebrations off Hard Rock property, and there was a spike in incidents during tailgates.

“This all stemmed from the last season changes that the Hard Rock Stadium had made to the tailgating rules,” said Speaker Pro Tempore of the Senate David Mejia, who presented the bill for the Student Zone.

During one of the games in the 2016 football season, Mejia said the stadium ran out of paramedics because so many students suffered from complications from being outside in the heat.

“People were not making it to the game,” said Student Government President Adrian Nuñez.

Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia Whitely put together a Tailgate task force in response, and that group of students and faculty came up with the idea for a separate, shaded zone. President Frenk supplied the $50,000 for the project and Whitely helped move the project along, over to Student Activities and Student Organizations, which worked out the logistics with the Athletics department and the stadium.

Starting from the opening game on Sept. 2 against Bethune-Cookman, a designated Student Fan Zone with food and games will be open outside the stadium, in the covered north-northwest plaza.

Nuñez said the zone is meant to help students be safe during the tailgates, whether it means stopping by to drink water and use the restrooms before entering the stadium or grabbing some catered food before going to other tailgate stations. No alcohol is allowed in the Student Fan Zone, but students can flow in and out of it as they choose.

The zone will open up 2 ½ to three hours before kickoff at all home games.

Featured photo courtesy of University of Miami Student Government.

Isabella Cueto

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...