Dear V

V’s Take: The College Hookup Handbook

VS-TAKE.jpg

A new semester means plenty of new opportunities for hookups, and plenty of new bodies on campus for just that. Here’s my College Hookup Handbook:

Don’t do it drunk. Take it from someone who knows – the guy or girl who was a tipsy ten is a solid two when you’re sober. “Banging while blacked” is always a questionable decision, and it’s scary to wake up and not know what – or who – went down. Neither party can give consent while drunk, and that’s just a mess waiting to happen.

Know who you blow. Take it from someone who has had to avoid eye contact with a one night stand on the way to class. It’s worse if you’re in class with them and downright horrible if you’re forced to work with them. Moral of the story: know whose bed you’re getting into beforehand.

Sexiling sucks. You shouldn’t kick your roommate out when you want to get kinky because that’s rude. If you need a place to pound, give your roommate some notice and keep it to a quickie. Whatever you do, don’t try to smash while your roomie is sleeping. Your roommate will definitely wake up, and your screw will leave them emotionally screwed up.

Play it safe. This goes without saying, but use protection. The only thing worse than catching feelings is catching an STD. What was supposed to be a one night stand can end up a lifelong problem. Condoms are free on campus at the Student Health Center, so don’t accept any excuses.

Play it safer. If you’re meeting up with someone from Tinder (or Bumble, PoF, OKCupid, Hinge, Grindr, Jack’d – you get it), be careful. It’s not a good idea to get in a stranger’s car or go to your Tinder bae’s house, no matter how horny or desperate you are. We’ve all seen MTV’s “Catfish.” We all know the Zodiac Killer.

Think I missed something? Let me know at dearv@themiamihurricane.com.

Advice Columnist

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

Jaquan Johnson doesn’t necessarily look intimidating. But he plays like a monster. Johnson, UM’s 5-1 ...

It will determine which state rival makes the American Athletic Conference championship game when th ...

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America came to the University of Miami Scho ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

A pair of Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized with weekly honors from the Atlantic Coast Co ...

The Miami women's basketball team will host the first of its two elementary school days Tuesday ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team welcomed three new members to the program with the si ...