Administration, Health, News

UHealth CEO Dr. Steven Altschuler resigns

Dr. Steven Altschuler is resigning less than two years after he was brought on as the executive vice president for Health Affairs and CEO of UHealth.

A letter sent out by University of Miami President Julio Frenk said Altschuler’s resignation will take effect Sept. 15 and attributed the resignation to his desire “to pursue other interests in biotechnology.”

Just three months ago, on May 24, Frenk sent out a letter to the UM community explaining organizational changes that named Altschuler to an “executive budget committee,” along with the then-unnamed executive vice president and provost and Chief Operating Officer Jacqueline Travisano, a new hire. Money seems to be the big concern as the health system adapts to changes in healthcare and policy and undertakes the shift from inpatient to outpatient services, such as those provided at the Lennar Foundation Medical Center on the Coral Gables campus.

Altschuler started at the university Jan. 1, 2016. Before that, he served as president and CEO of The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and The Children’s Hospital Foundation for 15 years.

During his time at UM, he helped transition the university to a new single-license University of Miami Health System. Altschuler will remain a consultant to the university through the end of the calendar year, Frenk wrote in the announcement.

Dr. Edward Abraham, dean of the Miller School of Medicine, will assume Altschuler’s responsibilities.

Isabella Cueto

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “UHealth CEO Dr. Steven Altschuler resigns”

1. John Falcone says:

This is a disgrace and a disaster.. what this says is that NO one can bring the University out of debt. Did he resign or did he get the boot…. I heard he got the boot. The medical school is in its worst state and yet the leaders keep hiring for chiefs.. Stop hiring doctors and hire business men!! what a disgrace to the University.. How many more people will loose their jobs? The new dean, what business experience does he have? he’s an academic dean from Wake forest..

2. steve miller says:

It’s about time. Bankruptcy next

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

Jaquan Johnson doesn’t necessarily look intimidating. But he plays like a monster. Johnson, UM’s 5-1 ...

It will determine which state rival makes the American Athletic Conference championship game when th ...

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America came to the University of Miami Scho ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

Erykah Davenport scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 19 rebounds, as the Miami women's b ...

Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz was selected as one of 15 semifinalists for the Broyles Award ...

Former Miami football players Ronnie Walker and Todd Stanish are grateful to be able to celebrate an ...

The neutral-site game is a homecoming for freshman guard Lonnie Walker IV. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team will travel to Georgia Tech and Clemson this week for the fi ...