Edge, Movies, Reviews

Three summer movies you might have missed

Baby Driver

This film boasts an incredible soundtrack; star-studded cast of Jon Hamm, Jamie Foxx and Kevin Spacey; and car chases that rival the ‘Fast & Furious’ series. Director Edgar Wright’s latest film “Baby Driver,” pleases almost every movie theater crowd. Centered around Baby (Ansel Elgort), a getaway driver with severe tinnitus, Baby Driver substitutes a traditional score for an eclectic soundtrack based on Baby’s iPod playlists. Wright juxtaposes music and film as every set piece is meticulously synced to the beat of songs, akin to a high budget music video. Although the plotline clearly takes a backseat, the film’s powerhouse cast, action sequences and unique style makes “Baby Driver” a must see in theaters.

Okja

Filled with absurdist comedy, heart-wrenching drama and relevant social commentary, American-Korean co-production “Okja” is one of the strangest Netflix originals. The film chronicles the journey of a 12-year-old girl (Ahn Seo-hyun) on a mission to save her best friend, a mutated “super pig,” from a biochemical conglomerate. Director Bong Joon Ho seamlessly blends genres, sending audiences into raucous laughter in one moment before tugging on their heartstrings the next. Newcomer Ahn Seo-hyun establishes herself as a driving force, not only carrying the film but completely selling the film’s absurd concept. The cast also features movie stars Tilda Swinton, Lilly Collins and Jake Gyllenhaal, who are nearly unrecognizable. They play arguably some of the most eccentric roles of their careers, however, in the movie they are absurdly perfect.

Dunkirk

Director Christopher Nolan’s “Dunkirk” is an exercise in cinematic achievement. Featuring magnificent cinematography, larger-than-life set pieces and nail-biting suspense, this immediate blockbuster hit is certainly Oscar-worthy. Dunkirk tells the story of a 1940 evacuation through three separate groups: an aircraft pilot, soldiers trapped on the beach and a civilian rescue mission. Nolan proves himself as a master filmmaker as he keeps the audience in dramatic suspense throughout the film, never allowing viewers to collect themselves. The film’s special effects are especially impressive, as real WWII-era equipment was utilized in the battle sequences in lieu of CGI. Shot largely on 70mm IMAX film, the film’s visuals warrant a big screen viewing. The death-defying fighter jet sequences are worth the price of admission, as cameras mounted onto planes provide first-person perspective of dogfights.

Featured photo courtesy Wilson Webb, TriStar Pictures, Inc. and MRC II Distribution Company L.P.

Corey Vikser

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-08-27, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...