Bring music back to the Music Television network

MTV, the Music Television network, first came on the scene in 1981. It became an international hotspot for the latest music and up-and-coming artists, giving a whole new meaning to the term “music video.” MTV became an instant cultural phenomenon, a force that has revolutionized the world of music, fashion and movies for the past 30 years.

MTV began as the first 24 hour music channel premiering iconic videos like Michael Jackson’s Thriller and Nirvana’s award-winning MTV Unplugged performance. These moments brought the youth of America together to enjoy some of the best music of our time that spanned all genres.

In the past, MTV gave new artists a platform to showcase their music and secure a fan base with shows such as TRL and MTV’s Unplugged, which would bring artists on to talk about their music and collaborations as well as give exclusive performances. These shows gave new artists much-needed opportunities and exposure, and it gave well-known artists a whole new way to connect with fans. It was a massive win for the world of music.

However, in the past 15 years, MTV has completely shifted the network’s focus away from music. A channel that used to be so unique, which celebrated something so universal and unifying is now a constant barrage of reality shows – no music videos in sight. When MTV canceled music-centric shows and focused more on the drama surrounding the casts of corny reality shows, it lost much of the allure that made it so popular with young people. The network became generic and predictable, causing people to quickly lose interest.

Tonight’s Video Music Awards (VMAs) continue a tradition launched by MTV in 1984. Over the years, however, MTV and society as a whole have shifted the focus of the VMAs away from the music itself, enticing fewer people to tune in to the ceremony. The VMAs have become less about talented musicians putting on killer performances and more about celebrity feuds and outrageous red carpet outfits. As a millennial and lover of all things music, I grew up watching MTV. It’s disappointing to see such a lack of music itself on a network that once was the only place to go for the latest music videos.

I believe that in this crucial day and age, MTV is really missing the chance to connect and bring people together. In a time of so much noise and negativity, it would be great to have the old MTV back. Music is so important and therapeutic for today’s youth; it’s about time we go back to it.

Now more than ever, we should get back to celebrating the art and diversity of our music culture. MTV is failing today’s youth with its new direction and completely missing the mark on what young people and aspiring artists need right now.

Nicole Macias is a sophomore majoring in English.

Featured photo courtesy Pexels user Josh Sorenson.

Nicole Macias

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in its first road game of the seaso ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...