Football, Sports

Malik Rosier named Hurricanes starting quarterback

Miami’s biggest question mark this fall has been answered.

Coach Mark Richt announced Tuesday morning that redshirt junior Malik Rosier will start at quarterback for the Hurricanes in their season opener against Bethune-Cookman on Sept. 2.

“Focus, discipline and accuracy,” Richt said on what separated Rosier from the rest of the pack. “He stood out above the rest, and it was apparent he was having the best camp. These young guys have to own it for a while before they can really compete at a high level at that position.”

Rosier has predominantly taken reps with the first-team offense during the drills and the Canes’ two scrimmages this fall.

In the two scrimmages, Rosier is a combined 25 of 39 for 441 yards, with five touchdowns and an interception – a 64 percent completion rate and a quarterback rating of 196.27.

“I think he did a great job this camp, and he’s gonna lead us down in the right direction,” junior running back Mark Walton said. “He’s more calm in the pocket now, and he also can run. It makes it more complicated for the [opposing]defense, which also makes things easier for me.”

The Mobile, Alabama native has appeared in 10 career games as a Hurricane, including a start against Duke in a 30-27 win back in 2015. In the matchup, Rosier was starting in place of then starting quarterback Brad Kaaya, who was recovering from a concussion. Rosier backed up Kaaya for the past two seasons.

Rosier used to be a dual-sport athlete, playing baseball for coach Jim Morris at Miami in 2015 before choosing to focus solely on football, which is his scholarship sport.

It has paid off.

The quarterback depth chart now has Rosier at No.1, redshirt sophomore Evan Shirreffs at No. 2, freshman N’Kosi Perry at No. 3 and freshman Cade Weldon at No. 4.

Rosier will lead a UM team that was ranked No. 18 in the Preseason AP Top 25 Poll on Monday morning.

This story will be updated as more information is released.

Josh White

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...