Cover, Football, Sports

Malik Rosier named Hurricanes starting quarterback

Miami’s biggest question mark this fall has been answered.

Coach Mark Richt announced Tuesday morning that redshirt junior Malik Rosier will start at quarterback for the Hurricanes in their season opener against Bethune-Cookman on Sept. 2.

“Focus, discipline and accuracy,” Richt said on what separated Rosier from the rest of the pack. “He stood out above the rest, and it was apparent he was having the best camp. These young guys have to own it for a while before they can really compete at a high level at that position.”

Rosier has predominantly taken reps with the first-team offense during the drills and the Canes’ two scrimmages this fall.

In the two scrimmages, Rosier is a combined 25 of 39 for 441 yards, with five touchdowns and an interception – a 64 percent completion rate and a quarterback rating of 196.27.

“I think he did a great job this camp, and he’s gonna lead us down in the right direction,” junior running back Mark Walton said. “He’s more calm in the pocket now, and he also can run. It makes it more complicated for the defense, which also makes things easier for me.”

The Mobile, Alabama native has appeared in 10 career games as a Hurricane, including a start against Duke in a 30-27 win back in 2015. In the matchup, Rosier was starting in place of then starting quarterback Brad Kaaya, who was recovering from a concussion. Rosier backed up Kaaya for the past two seasons.

The quarterback depth chart now has Rosier at No.1, redshirt sophomore Evan Shirreffs at No. 2, freshman N’Kosi Perry at No. 3 and freshman Cade Weldon at No. 4.

Rosier will lead a UM team that was ranked No. 18 in the Preseason AP Top 25 Poll on Monday morning.

This story will be updated as more information is released.

Josh White

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

University of Miami women's golfer Dewi Weber wasted little time this season in adding to her a ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...