Campus Life, Environment, News, Science and Technology

Where to (safely) view today’s solar eclipse

eclipse.jpg

In case you haven’t heard, there’s a solar eclipse happening today. An eclipse of this kind – with a path of totality from coast to coast, and only in the United States – hasn’t happened since 1918, nearly a century ago.

Student Activities and Student Organizations (SASO) is partnering with UAstronomy to host an eclipse viewing, complete with space-themed snacks. The Department of Physics will also be hosting a watch party.

Although Florida is not in the path of totality, meaning Floridians won’t be able to see the full eclipse, we will be able to witness a nearly 80 percent eclipse. The organizations will provide special eclipse viewing glasses (tip: never look directly at the sun for an extended period of time with the naked eye).

The eclipse will occur from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Max eclipse viewing will be at 2:58 p.m. Brian McNoldy, senior research associate at the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science created a webpage to virtually follow the eclipse.

if-you-go_onV1_edit.png

Design by Emily Dulohery

Off-campus viewings:

Frost Museum

The Phillip and Patricia Frost Museum will be hosting its own solar eclipse party at its Science Plaza. Glasses will be available for viewing the solar eclipse, and the museum will also live-stream the NASA Eclipse Megacast, featuring scientists from across the country. Events begin at 12:30 p.m. Tickets cost $28.

1101 Biscayne Blvd, Miami.

South Beach

Dig your toes in the sand or go for a swim in the ocean for a clear view of the eclipse. Before the eclipse, yoga instructor Giuliano Geronymo will lead a sunrise “sound healing treatment” using crystal bowl singing and drumming. Make sure to bring your own eclipse-viewing glasses and water. Event begins at 6 a.m. Tickets cost $15.

4600 Collins Ave, Miami Beach.

Deering Estate

For an undisturbed view of the eclipse, watch it at this environmental preserve and historic park. The Southern Cross Astronomical Society will provide professional telescopes and protective glasses. Event begins at 1 p.m. Tickets cost $12.

16701 SW 72nd Ave, Palmetto Bay.

Are you hosting your own eclipse viewing party? Tell us about it in the comments below.

Isabella Cueto

Esther Ponce De Leon

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team checks in at No. 39 in the Oracle/ITA rankings Tuesda ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...

Miami's women's track and field team entered the top-15 in the latest edition of the NCAA ...

Junior righthander Andrew Cabezas was recognized with ACC Pitcher of the Week honors after an outsta ...

Hurricanes record their best round of tournament on Monday. ...