Administration, Campus Life, Community, News

Troubleshoot academic, administrative issues with university ombudsperson

WHO

jennifer_rau_240x320.jpg

Dr. Jennifer Rau. Photo courtesy Office of the Ombudsperson.

Jennifer Rau is the University of Miami’s assistant to the vice president and ombudsperson. She has held this title since 2014 and works with Heather Stevens, the student advocacy coordinator, and Michelle Maldonado, the academic ombudsperson. Additionally, an entire team of academic and administrative troubleshooters students in addressing student concerns.

WHAT

An ombudsperson is the university official who helps students resolve issues with academic, extracurricular and administrative processes. An ombudsperson will also help liaise between students and administrators.

“Our team is here to listen to all students and discuss their options, next steps and get them connected with the appropriate resources,” Rau said.

WHEN

If students are having an issue and not sure about whom to contact

to get it resolved, they should contact the appropriate office first. If they are unclear about whom to contact, they should consult with the ombudsperson.

“If they are not sure what that is, give us a call and we will direct them there. If they have a complex issue that they are having difficulties navigating with multiple offices, let us know, and we can help guide them through the process,” Rau said.

WHY

Sometimes the university system can be overwhelming. The ombudsperson can help students streamline the process.

Rau recalled working with an overwhelmed student who was looking for help balancing her research assistantship with family problems affecting her financial aid. With Rau’s help, the student received appropriate support from financial aid and found work alternatives. The student ultimately graduated with honors and will start medical school in the fall.

HOW

Call 305-284-4922, email ombudsperson@miami.edu or fill out the online form on ombuds.studentaffairs.miami.edu under “Submit a case.”

WHERE

Ashe Administrative Building, Room 244

Annie Cappetta

Annie Cappetta can be reached on Twitter at @acmcappetta and via email at acmcappetta@gmail.com

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

In singles play, the Hurricanes demonstrated strength at the top with both of their ranked players – ...

Hurricanes and Fighting Irish play at 7 p.m. Monday. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team opened competition Sunday at the 2018 A ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...