Campus Life, News

A quick roundup of what happened during Orientation Week 2017

And just like that, one of the busiest weeks on campus is over. Orientation Week 2017 welcomed more than 2,000 new ‘Canes to the University of Miami. Here’s a look back on the week:

Students started the week with one less thing to worry about thanks to a new move-in service UM provided this year. The process, which University and Student Services (USS) calls “Cruise Ship Move-in,” was designed to help students arriving on campus to have an easier move-in day, and to ease traffic in the area.

The Student Move In Team unloads an incoming freshman’s belongings as part of the university’s new “Cruise Ship Move-In” The system helped the new students move into their dorm rooms at Stanford, Hecht and Eaton Residential Colleges. Amanda Herrera / The Miami Hurricane

Though the move-in process was made easier this year, some new students were still anxious about what was to come. Freshman Jackie Verge said she was nervous about the social and academic expectations of starting at UM.

“I’m most nervous about making new friends and meeting all the new people. I’m also really nervous about my classes because I’m taking physics,” she said.

Jackie Verge, a freshman from Westchester, New York, moved into her new home on Monday with ease but said she was nervous of the days to follow during Orientation Week. Amanda Herrera / The Miami Hurricane 

Students were able to let off some steam during the Council of International Students and Organization’s (COISO) welcome party Tuesday night. Read more about the event here.

‘Cane Kickoff, the official beginning of orientation for the incoming class, included appearances by some of the university’s top administrators. Among them was President Julio Frenk who welcomed the students and their families.

Throughout the week, students were provided endless opportunities to introduce themselves to their new classmates. During CaneStage’s New Student Talent Show, more than a dozen students were able to introduce their talents to campus.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

Jaquan Johnson doesn’t necessarily look intimidating. But he plays like a monster. Johnson, UM’s 5-1 ...

It will determine which state rival makes the American Athletic Conference championship game when th ...

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America came to the University of Miami Scho ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

A pair of Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized with weekly honors from the Atlantic Coast Co ...

The Miami women's basketball team will host the first of its two elementary school days Tuesday ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team welcomed three new members to the program with the si ...