Administration, Cover, News

Jeffrey L. Duerk chosen to serve as UM’s new executive vice president and provost

duerk-full.jpg

Dean and Leonard Case Professor of the School of Engineering at Case Western Reserve University Jeffery Duerk. Photo courtesy Case Western Reserve University.

Jeffrey Duerk, current dean and Leonard Case Professor of the School of Engineering at Case Western Reserve University, will become the University of Miami’s new executive vice president and provost in July. Duerk succeeds former provost Thomas LeBlanc, who left UM this year to become George Washington University’s president.

Duerk’s appointment was announced earlier today via an email sent by President Julio Frenk to the UM community. In his statement, Frenk described Duerk as “an accomplished engineer and scientist, as well as a respected academic with deep appreciation for the social sciences, the arts, and the humanities.” In this way, he is similar to his precursor; LeBlanc studied computer science and headed the computer science department at the University of Rochester.

Duerk has been part of Case Western’s faculty since 1988. During his time at Case Western, Duerk has served as the chair of the Departments of Radiology and Biomedical Engineering and the founding director of the Case Center for Imaging Research. According to the center’s website, it is an interdisciplinary academic research center, designed to “develop, cultivate and support leaders in creating innovative and relevant imaging technologies that will transform the future of patient care.” In 2012, he was appointed as the dean of the Case School of Engineering.

Duerk received his bachelor’s degree in electrical and electronics engineering in 1981 from Purdue University, as well as his master’s degree in electrical and electronics engineering from The Ohio State University in 1983. In 1987, he obtained his Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering from Case Western.

June 1, 2017

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...