Administration, Cover, News

Ryan Holmes named new associate vice president for student affairs and dean of students

Holmes.jpg

Assistant Vice President for Student Support at University of Texas – El Paso Ryan Holmes. Photo courtesy Association for Student Conduct Administration.

Ryan Holmes, assistant vice president for student support (AVPSS) at the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP), will serve as the University of Miami’s new associate vice president for student affairs and dean of students beginning this summer.

Holmes has been working in higher education since 2002 and has held various positions at various universities, including graduate coordinator for Black Student Involvement & Community Advocacy at the University of Maryland, director of off-campus communities at La Salle University and assistant dean of students and director of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution at UTEP.

In his most recent position at UTEP as AVPSS, he oversees investigations of concerns related to students, such as student safety. He also supervises oversight for the university’s Center for Accommodations and Support Services, Military Student Success Center and the University Counseling Center.

The Louisiana native obtained his master’s degree in counseling and personnel services in 2004 from the University of Maryland, College Park, as well as one in bilingual-bicultural studies from La Salle University in 2008. In 2014, Holmes received his doctoral degree in educational leadership and administration from UTEP.

Holmes will be taking over former UM Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students Ricardo Hall’s position. Hall left UM this past spring to join Lehigh University in Pennsylvania as vice provost in Student Affairs. Holmes’ first day as dean will be July 31.

Correction, May 26, 2017, 12:14 p.m.: A previous version of this story stated Ryan Holmes’ title will be dean of students. Ryan Holmes’ full title at the university will be associate vice president for student affairs and dean of students. The article has been updated to reflect this information.

May 26, 2017

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Ryan Holmes named new associate vice president for student affairs and dean of students”

1. Toni Blum says:

Congratulations to The University of Miami. You have hired an amazing professional who will serve you well. UTEP will truly miss him.

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...