Art, Books, Community, Edge

Miami Zine Fair features eclectic array of locally produced zines, products

When people think of zines, they might think of the 1970s New York punk zeitgeist. They might also think of the ever-growing “do-it-yourself” movement or a potentially great skit for a “Portlandia” episode. Event-goers found all this and more at The Miami Zine Fair April 22.

The fair was a community-based event that offered exposure for zines and other local products. Zines are typically self-published booklets with a small circulation. They are created in small batches and are not intended for profit. Instead, zines aim to advance and share an ideology, issue, art or story important to the creator. Zines are hard to define because they can be anything the creator wants.

According to O, Miami, The Miami Zine Fair is the original and largest gathering of Florida’s indie publishers, featuring over 150 local artists, writers, publishers and activists. This year, the fair took place on the lawn near the Lowe Art Museum. From 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., the fair was filled with people discovering Miami’s print world.

WVUM, the university’s radio station, played music for the fair while offering a unique virtual reality experience. In the WVUM office, users could play a game to produce the tones and chords of Hot Sugar’s “The Melody of Dust” album by using VR controllers to create a soundscape. The experience was an entertaining extension of the fair.

The fair offered an impressive collection of cassettes, shirts, books, comics, art and zines. April 22 was not just the Miami Zine Fair – it was also Record Store Day and, more importantly, Earth Day. Earth First brought the environmental activism and excitement of Earth Day to the fair. Walking away from Earth First’s table, guests could see a zine called “Coloring Book for Sad Boys,” which featured a real cigarette and relevant pictures, such as Drake crying. Vice Versa Press’s “Guide to be Being Alone” was a notable zine.

Two zines created by University of Miami students Kevin Sands and Ethan Punal were featured at the fair. Sands’ “My Life of Living Más: A Salute to Taco Bell” came as a “meal deal,” which included three Taco Bell sauce packets and a bag of Doritos. Punal’s “Some Art You’ll Probably Care About” contained 20 abstract animated celebrity portrayals.

Tristan Niskanen

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...