Newsroom opened doors to unique experiences, friendships

As I look back at my time in college, I would not have been able to attend half of the events that I did without The Miami Hurricane.

Throughout my time as a staff photographer, assistant photo editor and finally photo editor, I have gained an extensive portfolio of photos, important connections and, most importantly, life-long friends. I’ve attended Ultra Music Festival, South Beach Food & Wine Festival and NCAA tournaments for free thanks to the beauty of a media pass. Although there are many people to thank, there are a few notable people I’d like to mention.

First, to our past photo editor Nick, thanks for not firing me when Alex wanted to because I missed an event. Next, to our EIC Julie, who has taken on one of the most action-packed years, helping us to create a paper week after week, filled with engaging stories and beautiful photos to match. To Jackie, who has kept me sane with constant updates and rundown reminders. To Isa, Marcus and Amanda, for challenging me to think outside the box for creative photo concepts and checking the rundown eight times a day to see if it was updated yet. To Isaiah, who shares my love of sports and my hatred of liars. To Sherman, who has transformed the website to provide a platform for our photos to be seen and shared. To Savanah, without whom this newspaper and our photos would be nothing.

And lastly to Hallee, who has been my partner in crime for the past two years. Hal, thank you for dealing with my crazy mood swings, eating dinner with me at the Rat every week and being the best co and best friend I could’ve asked for. To my future photo editors, Hunter and Amanda, you are both going to accomplish incredible things. I trust you to keep the photos and covers strong, and I know you both will come to love weekly photo meetings.

Enjoy every late night deadline, every sporting and music event and every day you get to be a part of one of the best organizations on campus. I am so grateful to have spent the last four years of my college career with some of the most wonderful, smart, talented, funny and bold people UM has to offer. I love you guys. Thank you for making my college experience so incredible.

Victoria McKaba will graduate with a Bachelor of Science in biology.

Victoria McKaba

The king has been dethroned. The University of Miami’s often painful uphill journey came crashing to ...

University of Miami tennis player Estela Perez-Somarriba, who made history on Sunday as the first fr ...

The University of Miami baseball team isn’t used to straddling the fence when it comes to being invi ...

Now, all that’s left is the waiting. The University of Miami baseball team, fighting to extend its 4 ...

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team forced a third set in the NCAA Singles ...

Inclement weather made them wait, but Ebony Morrison and a pair of University of Miami relay teams p ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team cemented her name in the record books S ...

Miami's run at the 2017 ACC Championship ended in the semifinals Saturday, as the sixth-seeded ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba posted a 6-4, 5-7, 6-1 victory over Mia Horvit Saturday, becoming the fourth ...