Carrying forward lessons, memories from behind the lens

At a young age, I learned how to see the world from behind a lens. Somewhere, buried among the old family albums, there is a photo of me with a “Little Tikes” camera in hand – clunky and colorful, unable to actually capture a moment. At 3 years old, I could not imagine that I would someday trade in that block of plastic for a real-life DSLR camera and an adventure in campus photography.

Working at The Miami Hurricane defined my past four years. From Homecoming to International Week, being a member of this organization welcomed me into an array of networks and involvements. A few of my most memorable shots taken while on campus: George Takei, Bill Clinton and Leonardo DiCaprio. I traded spare time on weekends for photo shoots of new restaurants and local businesses. Instead of sitting in the stadium, cheering on our football team with friends, I stood on the sidelines as players ran straight toward me. And you know what? I would not change a single minute of it. I feel so lucky to have been front row for all the excitement.

I grew tremendously in my roles as photographer, assistant photo editor and photo editor. Whether it was communicating with staff or collaborating with fellow editors, I found my voice and learned how to be a leader. There were, of course, many late nights and a few hardships. Those, however, came with plenty of laughs and fond memories. Within the photo department and the paper as a whole, I am tremendously proud of all that we accomplished together.

It is hard coming to terms with what feels like the end of an era. I am sure this makes me no different from most seniors about to graduate. I know the paper will continue, and our new photo editors will undoubtedly produce fantastic content, making this transition a little easier. I will miss my time behind this lens but I will be forever grateful for the experiences I captured, the relationships I forged and the passion I found in photography.

Hallee Meltzer will graduate with a Bachelor of Science in ecosystem science and policy.

Hallee Meltzer

Hallee Meltzer can be reached at hmeltzer@themiamihurricane.com.

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...