Fears of World War 3 unfounded

The term “WWIII” has been a top Google search in the United States over the past few weeks. With the bombings in Syria and the increased tensions with North Korea, some in the media have made outlandish claims of upcoming war. Let me be clear: war with any nation is not going to happen, especially in the aftermath of low public opinion of the conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan. The American people and the politicians do not want to experience the same feelings of disillusionment with another war that has no end goal. Additionally, the capacity and willingness of North Korea to engage in war has been drastically overstated.

In Syria, after the Assad government used chemical weapons against its own citizens, the U.S. acted in accordance to the agreements with Russia to destroy any chemical weapons in the country. In my opinion, the current administration is not going to send any more ground troops into Syria due to the risk of public fallout.

North Korea is different from Syria, as its despotic leader has the support of his country. Under the Clinton administration, North Korea showed similar aggression until the U.S. agreed that China could send aid to the nation, bypassing sanctions. This action helped North Korea feed its citizens, and most of the nuclear threats stopped. The U.S. now faces a familiar situation in which North Korea has threatened to launch attacks against us and our allies in the region. According to a report from UPI, North Korea is running low on food as the World Food Program no longer has the funds to distribute nutritional bars to children. Yet again it seems as though North Korea is flexing its military capacity in order to leverage aid from other nations. The end of this conflict will only end when a compromise can be reached of how much aid the country gets from China in a brokered deal with the international community.

After a demonstration of military strength, North Korea will go back to being insignificant in world affairs until the administration starts to crumble again. The threat of North Korea is one that may not go away anytime soon, but the country does not have the necessary capability to act on these warnings. So, when news stations report about the drums of war, it is best to ignore the noise and wait until the president or Congress authorize a large-scale conflict to take place against an actual threat.

Joseph Krupar is a freshman majoring in political science.

Joseph Krupar

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...