UM hosts first ‘Religion Awareness Day’

NEWS_Religion Awareness Day_MB.jpg

Hillel Rabbi Lyle Rothman teaches Sikh Narinder Jolly about the Jewish custom of Tefillin during Religion Awareness Day at the Rock Wednesday. Matt Bernanke // Staff Photographer

Off the cusp of Easter and Passover, the University of Miami hosted its first Religion Awareness Day in an effort to open dialogue among students practicing different religions.

For Nidhi Patel, co-chair of the Standing Committee for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Religion Awareness Day is the hopeful start of more interfaith dialogue.

Patel has been working on interfaith dialogue since high school after being inspired by a man at her temple, who also worked to build community between religions. After he passed away, she was determined to bring the conversation to the undergraduate community.

“Even back then I really didn’t realize the importance as much of learning about different faiths and religions as I do now,” said Patel. “I want students to feel connected to these people so that they see them not as different faiths but students of the UM community coming together to showcase their religion. Right now, we have different pockets of faiths, and they’re doing their own activities, but there’s so much room for cooperation.”

Patel, alongside committee co-chair Megan Lipsky, has been planning the event since last year. The event was a student initiative that came out of the standing committee created in summer 2016.

“Spirituality sometimes gets a little bit of a back seat to all other things that we’re doing, so we have a very active chaplains association, and there’s a lot of diversity here at the university and it’s great to showcase that,” said Patricia Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs.

Representatives for nine different faiths came together at the Rock to educate UM community members about their religions with the intention of debunking any misconceptions placed on their respective beliefs.

St. Bede’s, the campus Episcopal church on Stanford Drive, had a basket full of Easter eggs, filled with slips of paper with common questions about being Episcopalian. The Hindu Student Council debunked myths about the religion. The Muslim Students of UM (MSUM) had Ask-a-Muslim, during which students were able to ask Muslim students about their faith, similar to an event they hosted during Islam Awareness Week.

The Sikh Student Group also attended, though not an official COSO-registered student organization. Several Sikh students banded together to host a turban tying event.

Rabbi Lyle Rothman from Hillel attended the event and said he noted how little each religion knew about the others.

“Just in my conversations with other people, I was made very well aware of how little as a group we all know about each other’s religions,” Rothman said. “There’s a tremendous amount of hatred in this world today, and the most important thing is to interact with human beings on a human level.”

Though Patel will be graduating this spring, she said she hopes for the eventual creation of a student-run Interfaith Council, which would promote cooperation among different faiths and religious groups. She and Lipsky have spoken about holding events like a Fast-A-Thon, using the common faith tradition of fasting to raise money for a charity.

For Rothman, Religion Awareness Day is hopefully the beginning of many more opportunities for different faiths and traditions on campus to unite.

“To not just share about our particular faith traditions but to be able to learn together, laugh together, eat together and ultimately to grow together to help heal this fractured world that we live in,” Rothman said.

Nathalie Mairena

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...