Baseball, Sports

Hurricanes score five runs in third inning to defeat FAU Owls 8-2

The Miami Hurricanes had a breakout game offensively and glided to an 8-2 win over the Florida Atlantic Owls Wednesday night.

A five-run explosion in the third inning sealed the deal for the Canes, while starting pitcher Evan McKendry provided six stellar innings on the mound.

Miami batted through the lineup in the third, as second baseman Romy Gonzalez doubled to lead off the inning at Mark Light Field.

UM Coach Jim Morris offered a bit of sage advice on batting around the lineup in a single inning.

“Oh it’s fun,” Morris said. “I found a long time ago that it’s a lot more fun when you score runs and you win, and our guys had fun today, and so did I.”

Between Gonzalez’s two plate appearances, there was an Edgar Michelangeli bunt-single and a Christopher Barr walk that loaded the bases. Gonzalez tagged up to score when right-fielder Michael Burns flied out to center field.

Hurricanes catcher Joe Gomez walked in the following at-bat to reload the bases before shortstop Randy Batista doubled home Michelangeli and Barr. Earlier in the at-bat, Batista missed a grand slam by mere feet down the right-field foul line. His first-inning single ensured he reached base safely for the 16th-straight game.

For Morris, it all starts with Batista.

“I think he’s the most important guy we want getting on base,” Morris said. “You got to get on base to give the guys in the middle of the lineup a chance to score.”

Morris heaped more praise on Batista, saying he is the “ideal” lead-off batter because of his ability to take pitches and get on base.

The third inning continued when left-fielder James Davison was plunked by FAU reliever Nick Prather. Center-fielder Carl Chester took advantage of the prolonged inning with a single through the first and second-base hole, which plated Batista and Gomez – the fourth and fifth runs of the inning.

After the Hurricanes got off to an early lead, the Owls quickly tied the score in the top of the second when Stephen Kerr homered to left-center field. Miami regained the advantage in the bottom half of the inning.

FAU’s only other run came in the top of the sixth after a sacrifice fly to center field.

Pitching mid week in place of Gregory Veliz, McKendry (3-1) had a career outing. His six strikeouts tied a career high, and his six innings-pitched made for his longest outing of the year. McKendry retired the side in order in the third and fourth innings.

With the win, the Canes have completed the season sweep against the Owls. This comes after already claiming the season series with a pair of wins in March.

Relievers Keven Pimentel and Albert Maury Jr. combined to pitch the last three innings to finish out the contest.

While Miami has been playing sub-.500 ball for just under two months now, Morris maintained that his players are battling through the season.

“I think our guys have played hard,” Morris said. “A lot of things have gone wrong for us, so we haven’t had a lot of breaks. So to stay positive and to understand that it’s not over until it’s over [is important]. Our RPI can get better, and we just got to keep battling everyday and get in the ACC Tournament. [We need to] make a great run in that tournament and let the marbles fall where they fall.”

Miami (18-19, 9-9 ACC) will begin a three-game weekend series against ACC rival Florida State (24-15, 9-9 ACC) 7 p.m. Friday at Mark Light Field.

Alex Goldman

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Here was a man who they aspired to be. Here was a millionaire. A local legend. An NFL star. A man wh ...

The Miami Hurricanes, fueled by exceptional pitching in both ends of a doubleheader, refuse to surre ...

Miles Wilson has narrowed his choices to Miami and Auburn, and will announce his decision after visi ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Thursday’s graduate degree ceremony was the largest in UM history ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team had a 13-stroke improvement on Day 2 at ...

Game times have been set for the 2017 Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship, and sixth-see ...

The University of Miami women's golf team waited around for nearly three hours to begin Day 2 c ...

Edgar Michelangeli capped the regular season with a walk-off, three-run home run, as Miami earned it ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team opened competition Friday at the NCAA C ...