Bike club offers tune-up services, cycling trips for riders of all skill levels

Allen Liu UBike.JPG

UM Bicycle Club sets up a tune-up station at the 2017 Hug the Lake event. Club president Allen Liu plans to take the repair station to other areas of the Miami community with funding from a $500 Butler Center social innovation grant the club received this year. Jackie Yang // Managing Editor

Since fall 2016, the UM Bicycle Club, or UBike, has provided students the opportunity to serve the campus community while also participating in an environmentally friendly activity.

Composed of 15 to 20 students who share a passion for cycling, the student organization sets up free tune-up stations at the Rock or the Breezeway to assist other students with mechanical problems. Since its inauguration, members have helped around 60 students.

Club President Allen Liu plans to take the repair station to remote areas, including homeless shelters. With a $500 social innovation grant the club received from the Butler Center, Liu wants to set up shop outside the shelters at least three times a semester.

The club not only provides services to other cyclists but also hosts regular rides to two main destinations in Miami-Dade: Key Biscayne and Deering Estate. Each ride can be between 20 to 40 miles long depending on the route they decide to take. The club is open to all skill levels, from beginners to experienced cyclists.

“Our goal is to appeal to all the facets: the hard riders, the casual riders and everyone who commutes,” said long-distance cycler Kawan Amelung.

So far the club’s method for recruitment has been word-of-mouth, mentioning it to anyone with a bicycle.

The bike club plans to appeal to members who do not currently own bikes as well. The club recently purchased bikes that can be rented out to students.

The bike club has been a great way to bring people together and to participate in an environmentally friendly and healthy form of exercise, Liu said.

“We see a lot of people who ride to class and we see a lot of people who ride recreationally,” said Liu. “The bike repair program really brings everyone together.”

Correction, April 21, 12:39 p.m.: A previous version of the story stated that the UM Bicycle Club was planning on purchasing club bikes. At the time of publication, the club had already purchased club bikes available for rent.

Rachel Hilt

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...