Administration, News

Dr. Edward Abraham named new dean of Miller School of Medicine

University of Miami President Julio Frenk announced in an email on Wednesday that Dr. Edward Abraham will be the new dean of the Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine. Abraham will start the position of chief academic officer and physician executive of the University of Miami Medical Group on July 1, taking over from interim Dean Laurence Gardner.

“I’m tremendously excited about coming to the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine as Dean and joining the wonderful community of students and faculty, and the visionary leadership team,” Abraham said in an statement to The Miami Hurricane. “There is remarkable potential to build on existent strengths in research, education, and clinical care to strengthen and create internationally renowned and pre-eminent programs.”

Abraham served as dean of Wake Forest School of Medicine in North Carolina for the past six years. Prior to that, he was chair of the Department of Medicine at the University of Alabama at Birmingham for five years and spent 13 years at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, where he was the head of the Division of Pulmonary Sciences and Critical Care Medicine and vice chair of the Department of Medicine.

He is a renowned pulmonary medicine and critical care physician and scientist, and has taken on ambitious projects at his other institutions, such as the development of a new compensation plan for faculty at Wake Forest and the opening of a new medical education facility. Abraham has also published more than 350 original research papers.

He received his undergraduate and medical degrees from Stanford University and trained in internal and critical care medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles, where he later had his first faculty position.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...