Basketball, Profiles, Sports

Club basketball player transitions from college athlete to law school student

SPORTS_Muk Profile_HC.jpg

Jamaican-Canadian athlete and law student Mukiya Post left his professional basketball dreams behind to pursue a law degree at UM. Hunter Crenian // Senior Photographer

The Division I basketball team is not the only team with standout talent at the University of Miami.

Mukiya Post, a 25-year-old member of UM’s club basketball team, once played for Concordia University in Montreal, Quebec.

Born in Victoria, British Columbia, the Jamaican-Canadian found his way around before receiving a scholarship to attend Miami’s law school, where he is now in his first year.

Post’s childhood was split between Western Canada and the Caribbean. He then briefly attended Champlain College in Vermont and Bishop’s University in Quebec before settling on Concordia, where he was the team’s starting shooting guard for two years.

“I got some of my greatest memories [playing at Concordia],” Post said.

After graduating from Concordia in 2015, Post had a difficult decision to make. He could try to become a professional basketball player or choose to follow a different path.

“I was at a fork in the road in life – in terms of pursuing basketball or pursuing law school,” Post said. “And I chose law school.”

Post said he plans to look for a job in sports law so that he can work with athletes. He said he is interested in possibly dealing with criminal defense or personal injury cases. One thing is certain: Post is serious about his academics.

“He’s a pretty studious guy,” said Santi Guerra, one of Post’s roommates at UM. “He’s always doing something.”

Post’s 6-foot-4 frame can be intimidating. But the former varsity athlete is living proof not to judge a book by its cover. One of his high school passions, a dance performance class, was not one in which he used his size to his advantage.

“I think most people wouldn’t expect me to do [that],” Post said. “It’s kind of embarrassing.”

As much as Post loved playing for the basketball team during his time as an undergraduate, it was far from easy.

“It was definitely tough trying to balance everything, in terms of school and basketball, and I was working a little bit, too,” Post said. “But I really, really enjoyed it.”

However, even as he turns his focus toward his academic success, Post – whose teammates refer to him simply as “Muk” – stays true to his basketball roots.

“He loves basketball, and he realizes that it’s what has gotten him here,” Guerra said.

Post keeps a balance between schoolwork and extracurricular activities, something that many law students struggle to do, Guerra said.

“Sometimes, I look back and I think, maybe I could’ve pursued sports a little more,” he said. “But I’m happy where I’m at now.”

Lior Kozai

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Club basketball player transitions from college athlete to law school student”

1. Andy Wray says:

This is a pretty neat little story about someone that you wouldn’t normally get to hear about, even if you follow the normal sports outlets for the school. I’m glad I got to learn a little bit about him.

The first University of Miami player to wear the coveted turnover chain will no longer play football ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...