Community, Edge, Music

Canes Carnival to feature DJs Slushii, Seeb in concert

Update, 11:49 a.m., April 7, 2017: Quotes from Kyle Gordon about HP Concerts’ selection of the artists were added.

With April now well underway, it’s once again time to gear up for this year’s Canes Carnival. Hurricane Productions announced April 5 that electronic dance music acts Slushii and Seeb will be performing at the end-of-semester outdoor concert 8 p.m. April 28 on the Foote Green.

“HP reached this decision based off of the hype regarding our Homecoming show and Ultra,” said Kyle Gordon, the current chair of HP Concerts. “We wanted to make sure the students enjoy the experience of the show.”

At only 19 years old, Slushii has made quite a name for himself as a DJ and producer out of Los Angeles with tracks such as “So Long” and “Sapient Dream.” He has also collaborated with the likes of UM Homecoming Concert performer Marshmello.

Seeb, a production trio, is noted for some of its wildly popular remixes, such as that of Mike Posner’s “I Took A Pill In Ibiza” and Coldplay’s “Hymn For The Weekend.”

The lineup promises to satisfy the EDM cravings of many UM students in the wake of this year’s Ultra Music Festival.

“[Seeb]’s ‘I Took A Pill In Ibiza’ remix was the anthem of my entire 2016; I can’t wait to jam out to it live and in the flesh,” said Tyler Ragone, a junior majoring in finance.

Some students were unfamiliar with the acts but excited nonetheless.

“I’ve never heard of Slushii, but it got me in the mood for a Slurpee,” said Eliot Parascandolo, a junior psychology major.

It is expected that many students will attend the show. “The turnout for Canes Carnival is great every year,” Gordon said. “No matter what, there are students attending all of Hurricane Productions’ events for the entire day. The carnival rides and the food trucks help make the last day of classes feel like a day of relief, but the concert is just the cherry on top.”

Aside from the concert, which is open to all students with a Cane Card and will start at 8 p.m., Canes Carnival will feature a wide array of other carnival festivities. Beginning with a daytime BBQ from noon to 2 p.m. at the Lakeside Patio, the events continues with a Patio Jam, Think Fast Trivia at the Rat, a UProv performance in the SC ballrooms, as well as carnival games and rides at the green from 6 to 11 p.m.

Featured photo courtesy Hurricane Productions. 

Jon Vilardi

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...