Crime and Safety, News

BREAKING: Student dies at Red Road Commons

Update, 5:12 p.m., March 30, 2017: The University of Miami Division of Student Affairs confirmed the identity of the student who died as Nicolas de Lavalette in an email sent to students Thursday afternoon. 

De Lavelette was a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences studying economics with a minor in entrepreneurship, according to the statement from Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Patricia Whitley. DeLavalette was a brother of  Zeta Beta Tau (ZBT) and was involved in CHABAD and the Undergraduate Sport Professionals’ Organization for Research and Training (USPORT), the email said.

Whitley described De Lavalette as “always willing to hang out and help a friend”  and said he was known for making those around him smile. De Lavalette was originally from France but his family now lives in Coral Gables. 

A memorial for De Lavalette is being planned but details about the event have not been announced. 

For students in need of grief counseling or other assistance, counselors and chaplains are available to students. The Counseling Center can be reached at 305-284-5511 and the contact information for the University Chaplains can be found here. Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia Whitely also recommends that students feel free to reach her office at 305-284-4922.

Update, 12:15 a.m., March 30, 2017: Members of Zeta Beta Tau (ZBT) confirmed Wednesday night that their fraternity brother Nicolas de Lavalette had died. De Lavalette was a junior and an undeclared arts and sciences major, according to his university profile. A source close to De Lavalette said he lived alone in Red Road Commons, but would not confirm how he died. The university has not confirmed the identity of the student.

University of Miami student and fellow ZBT member Alex Mines posted on Facebook Wednesday night about the loss.

The university has not confirmed the student’s identity.

A University of Miami student died on Wednesday at Red Road Commons housing complex. University spokesperson Megan Ondrizek confirmed the death around 9 p.m., but said the student’s identity could not be confirmed until the next-of-kin were notified.

The incident was reportedly an accident and is under investigation by Miami-Dade County Homicide Bureau.

A handful of students said they saw police cars and ambulances around 3:30 p.m. and a body being carried out of the complex, but most residents who spoke to The Miami Hurricane said they had not heard anything throughout the day on Wednesday.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available. 

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

Tommy Fletcher

Tommy Fletcher can be reached via email at multimedia@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter @_tommyfletcher.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...

Sean Grossman broke the 30-minute mark to set a school record in the men's 10,000m at the Virgi ...